Model Railway Journal 198

David Bigcheeseplant

Thanks Kenton. Saved me looking up the page numbers.

The colours would be more in keeping with Consett where every thing had a covering of iron ore. I am rather partial to NER stock and found the layout and it's rational quite fascinating. However to my eyes it is just so predominately mid brown and this takes away the edge to the realism. Let's try to analyse it. The brown of the buildings does not appear to be deep enough a shade and the contrast with the stone work is therefore reduced. The stonework, again to my eyes is much too uniform. I have an image in my head, reinforced by checking various photographs, of a lighter yellow brown with a mid grey colour variation. Even after allowing for the date modelled I would expect it to be rather more sooty.

Part of the problem might be that I expect any portrayal of the north east depicted in MRJ to match the regular layout.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kenton. Saved me looking up the page numbers.

The colours would be more in keeping with Consett where every thing had a covering of iron ore. I am rather partial to NER stock and found the layout and it's rational quite fascinating. However to my eyes it is just so predominately mid brown and this takes away the edge to the realism. Let's try to analyse it. The brown of the buildings does not appear to be deep enough a shade and the contrast with the stone work is therefore reduced. The stonework, again to my eyes is much too uniform. I have an image in my head, reinforced by checking various photographs, of a lighter yellow brown with a mid grey colour variation. Even after allowing for the date modelled I would expect it to be rather more sooty.

Part of the problem might be that I expect any portrayal of the north east depicted in MRJ to match the regular layout.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Please see my earlier post on this subject, the "brown-ness" (is that a word?) is rather unfortunate, and is in the photos or the printing. The layout itself has very natural and convincing colouring. Please take my word for it, its a superb layout, and one I've admired on several occasions

Cheers,

Dave.

Did anyone submit a solution to the MRJ Christmas Shunting Puzzle? I did -- but needless to say, I didn't win! :P (My solution was 44 moves, four more than the winning 40: well done that man!) I am sure it must have been a tedious exercise to examine all the entries for correctness. The solution appears to be appended to the Letters section rather than given its own heading, so it comes across as an afterthought. Part of the fun is seeing who else took part, but only the winners' names were printed this time. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since anyone has commented on this issue but as my initial reaction was one of slight disappointment on

a visual level compared with recent issues of MRJ, I thought I'd put it down for a while and review it again after a couple of weeks.

Leafing through it again, most of the featured content is a little early for my tastes. I was thinking that this in itself ought not

to detract from the fact that I love great modelling per se – and great pics of it… which is when I realised what was bugging me

about Lowburn Park in particular. There are too many small pics and too many depicting the same view. I would love to have seen

one of these repeated views as a DPS, especially as the layout hogs the very centre of the mag.

Blackberry Lane Shed too, looks a fine layout but why the largest pics in b/w while the colour stuff is a scattering of smaller images?

My complaints are all relative, though, as I still think MRJ, despite its 'old fuddy-duddy' look, contains a higher consistency of

inspirational modelling than any of the other UK mags.

Looking forward to issue 199… and, perhaps a 'bumper special' 200th?

Archived