Mk2 windows

sub39h

Hi everyone,

So I’ve only recently remembered that early Mk2s had different widows with the two sliding vents rather than just one.

Is anyone able to tell me which coaches had these windows please, and if any of these types of coaches were still in regular use in the late 1980s/early 1990s please?

Also is anyone able to detail the underframe differences between Mk2, Mk2A/B/C please?

Thanks for your help!

• RMweb Premium

XP64 brought about the single sliding vents, so all Mk2s were like that.

The Mk2(Z)s were vacuum braked, whereas later builds were air braked.

Lots of all types of them still around in 1986.

Dave

Dave

The first batch of FKs had the two sliding vents.

Dave

Off the top of my head, I will check later-

Also remember some mark 2 coaches were converted to air operated disc brakes, and some mark2A (and I think 2B) coaches were converted to vacuum brakes, nothing quite like standardisation is there! 

Edited by royaloak

All the Mk2z FK coaches had two sliding vents (and slightly different toilet windows).

Mk2z (or just plain Mk2 before POIS) were built with vacuum brakes. The Glasgow - Edinburgh push-pull coaches were converted to air brakes with disc brakes so gained air brake distributors and reservoirs on the underframe.

Mk2a/b and c were built as air braked, with the air brake distributors and reservoirs visible. Some Mk2a FK and Mk2a BFK were converted to vacuum brakes (the conversions were carried out between 1976 and 1978) to replace old Mk1 First Class stock on commuter services. Once converted they never changed back to air brakes (certainly not prior to privatisation).

Original Mk2a above, original Mk2z below

post-7112-0-53017600-1542819057_thumb.jpg

Air brake distributor and reservoir

post-7112-0-09855000-1542819179_thumb.jpg

Mk2b and Mk2c stock had an inverter box on the underframe which the Mk2a stock didn't.

post-7112-0-48650100-1542819224.jpg

I've posted these photos previously but over a number of different topics so it's easier for those wanting to know the differences if the photos are all together.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

There was a Mk2 FK in Steam museum Swindon a few years ago although it isn't listed as a current exhibit on the website.  I think it was the first built (Swindon did most of the design) and came out in maroon.  It definitely had two sliding vents per window. 

If it is of any help, Bachmann in OO have modelled the early FKs in green and maroon liveries, as well as blue and grey, with the earlier style vents. They also correctly have the mark 1 style corridor connections.