Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Drawing required , GWR standard ground signal

I’m about to look at 3D printing gwr stabdard single disc gwr ground discs , in 7mm. I have plenty of pictures but no drawing or something to give me the basic dimensions Would anyone have a drawing

( I have the Vaughan book , but this only details a double disc version )

I was thinking of standardizing on the tall version with the 1’6” disc , largely to make them more visible on the layout as I want them to operate

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen the photos on gwr.org.uk where someone is holding a tape measure alongside the 16" disc assemblies? (Is it 16" discs you are really after?)

It ought to be possible to produce CAD drawings from them.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-groundsigs.html

See the "The '1918 pattern' tall discs" section halfway down the page.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Simple question is 'which one?'  there is a scale drawing of the 1911 pattern signal which has appeared in several books and is of course basically an 1890s independent ground signal with the added enamel half disc.  Vaughan's. GWR signalling book has an official drawing of teh interwar period 2 arm signals but it has very few dimensions on it.

• RMweb Gold

I had a go at extracting a drawing of the 1918 tall pattern disc from the photos mentioned above.

RMWeb still won't let me upload images (Grrr...) so this is hosted on DropBox. The original is a vector drawing at 1:5 to actual size. It can be accurately dimensioned for any scale and exported in lots of vector formats (but not DXF).

https://db.tt/WfinjykiJd

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

I've pushed on a bit further with the drawing just for my personal satisfaction.

post-32492-0-49103800-1543234495_thumb.png

It's not complete and some details are speculative at the moment.

If it's of any use to you, Dave, or to anyone else that would be a bonus. I can supply a PDF.

(My thinking is that 2D drawings with accurate dimensions would be useful before creating a 3D model.)

Edit: Here's one of the elevations overlaid on one of the source photos for interest:

post-32492-0-83641100-1543236181_thumb.png

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4