Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DCC Blanking Plug Needed?

RateTheFreight

Afternoon all,

I recently purchased the Graham Farish ‘highlander set’ which comes with a DCC fitted 37, coaches, track and dcc controller.

I purchased the set more for the loco and carriages (and it’s attractive price) as all my other N gauge stock is DC and I’ve historicaly used Kato track for which I now have a large stock.

My N gauge layout is a simple two track ‘roundy roundy’ with some sidings and loops/fiddle yard to store stock.

My question is, if I want to run this 37 on said Kato track as DC do I need to buy a blanking pug to install? Or, can I just run it without any detrimental impacts to it?

I haven’t ruled out going DCC in the future albeit the cost of upgrading all my stock and purchasing new track and points (I know there’s tutorials online to convert Kato to DCC but looks complex for my skill set)

Thanks in advance.

Greg

• RMweb Premium

Nope, it'll work on DC, but you may find it runs a little slowly. You could fit a blanking plug if you like - I'll happily drop one (or 5) in the post to you, meaning you could either sell the decoder or set it aside for a future endeavour.

Thanks all for the helpful advice.

I’ve mulled the subject over and the more I think about it the more I’m tempted to see where DCC takes me.

Much of my rolling stock is modern N gauge so I believe is DCC ready and chips seem to be circa £20 for a basic one which is all I think I’d need.

Although I’d only need to control circa 2 or 3 locos at once if going down the DCC route I think it would be cool to get a start in DCC and see where it goes. I’d always thought DCC and a small scale layout wouldn’t mix but from what I’ve read this afternoon it absolutely can.

Greg

If running a DCC fitted loco on DC just be aware that the decoder needs to see a certain voltage before it can boot up and work out it has to pass DC through to the motor. This is why they tend to need a bit of wellie on the throttle to get them going.

Fitting a blanking plug obviates this lag.

Rob