ECML - Rail length in Steam/Diesel transition period

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A quick query as a result of a 'phone call tonight.

For the BR steam/diesel transition period, East Coast Mainline in Scotland.

Prior to the introduction of CWR which seems to have been in the early 60's, what length of rail was used for track panels?

Anyone able to give some info re this?

Thanks

Phil Holman

• RMweb Gold

New rail would be 60' lengths. If it was second hand track the ends may have been trimmed and redrilled but that would be for use on secondary lines, lengths being around 57' down to 45'.

When prefabbing for CWR the panels used for laying in were often 30' due to the weight of concrete sleepers and crane capacity. The 30' rails would then be tipped out and CWR put in.

• RMweb Gold

HI guys,

Thanks for the information - it confirms the direction my thoughts were taking me.

As it's definately pre CWR (photos have visible fishplates) I'll point they guy at 60ft and see if he's happy.

Thanks again, great to get a response so quickly.

Phil H

The LNER also used 45'-0" rails on lines in country areas where the gangs tended to be smaller and more dispersed to make it easier to get together enough men to handle rails in a hurry. The normal figure was one man per yard for jobs like loading rails on to wagons by hand. That would not have applied to the southern end of the ECML too much traffic, more maintenance and hence more men. But it might have applied in parts of Scotland as the traffic thinned out, certainly there is still a section of track with 45'-0" rails from I think (Chair dates) 1927 in the GC north of Aylesbury. If they were doing that in the GC mainline they might have done the same in the far reaches of the ECML. Can you see enough to count sleepers between fishplates 24 sleepers in old bullhead normally means 60'-0" rails.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The LNER also used 45'-0" rails on lines in country areas where the gangs tended to be smaller and more dispersed to make it easier to get together enough men to handle rails in a hurry. The normal figure was one man per yard for jobs like loading rails on to wagons by hand. That would not have applied to the southern end of the ECML too much traffic, more maintenance and hence more men. But it might have applied in parts of Scotland as the traffic thinned out, certainly there is still a section of track with 45'-0" rails from I think (Chair dates) 1927 in the GC north of Aylesbury. If they were doing that in the GC mainline they might have done the same in the far reaches of the ECML. Can you see enough to count sleepers between fishplates 24 sleepers in old bullhead normally means 60'-0" rails.

There was some 45ft rail on the GE mainline in the very early 1960s.  According to one contemporaneous source it had been laid when there was shortage of 60ft rail in the post-war period.