Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER Conflat containers

Would seem they could be used for BR containers.

This copy of an official BR booklet on containers from the Barrowmore club website doesn't seem to indicate any restrictions. Page 6 mentions LNE conflats. Interesting to note, however, that section B of the document states on page 12 / 13 that open containers (of which DX is one type) must not be carried on Conflats, but should be carried in low, medium or high merchandise wagons.

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Booklet_BR20427_Issue.pdf

Edited by JeremyC

• RMweb Premium

The Parkside conflat is a conflat S which had multiple fixing points and pockets for adjustable shackles (?) and were capable of taking a variety of containers. I've seen photos of them carrying A, BK and FM containers (of LNER origin) after a brief look, but as these were all based on the RCH standards the corresponding BR designs of equivalent design/size could also be carried. Geoff Kent's The 4mm Wagon Part 3 shows LNER conflat S wagons as per the Parkside model loaded with BR BK and BD containers. Given his usual attention to detail that's enough evidence for me.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Very useful to see the Barrowmore manual as I understand more about container loading and why Lowfit or machinery wagons were not to be used for containers.

I'd like to show container loading onto Conflats and container road trailers in 7mm scale but the chain arrangements and lifting slings would make this hard to replicate. I thought Scammell Mech Horses hauled containers but have seen hardly any photos of this.

I bet Giles could do it though.

Dava

Very useful to see the Barrowmore manual as I understand more about container loading and why Lowfit or machinery wagons were not to be used for containers.

I'd like to show container loading onto Conflats and container road trailers in 7mm scale but the chain arrangements and lifting slings would make this hard to replicate. I thought Scammell Mech Horses hauled containers but have seen hardly any photos of this.

I bet Giles could do it though.

Dava

Scammell Mechanical Horses were very commonly used for containers but had to be the 6 ton variety.