Class 124 DMUs "Off Route"

EddieK

As built, what became Class 124 DMUs were intended for Trans Pennine services from Liverpool to Hull and return. In later years they operated over the Hope Valley line and to Lancaster.

My question is: did these units ever get to places not on their core routes?

A trawl on the Railcar Association website has found images of a Halifax - Towyn excursion in June 1963, running via Llangollen, also a Leeds - Blaenau Festiniog railtour in May 1968. I have also found an image of a 124 at Bridlington in the 1970s.

Is anyone aware of any other such wanderings??

Over to you...

As built, what became Class 124 DMUs were intended for Trans Pennine services from Liverpool to Hull and return. In later years they operated over the Hope Valley line and to Lancaster.

My question is: did these units ever get to places not on their core routes?

A trawl on the Railcar Association website has found images of a Halifax - Towyn excursion in June 1963, running via Llangollen, also a Leeds - Blaenau Festiniog railtour in May 1968. I have also found an image of a 124 at Bridlington in the 1970s.

Is anyone aware of any other such wanderings??

Over to you...

Eddie,

The Pennines had several wandering off route in their careers, Blackpool, Woodhead, Harrogate, Chesterfield. Lincoln also had the odd visit either as a set of loose vehicles. Southport and Wigan Wallgate have been seen in repair books. Bridlington was quite common along with Trips to Boothferry Park.

• RMweb Premium

There was a FO diagram which took a set to New St from (I think) York, which returned ECS. Sorry, I can't remember the dates it ran, I saw some pictures at Dore heading down the Derby route at a recent RCTS meeting.

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

Hi, EddieK. The units were regulars on the line to Beverley and Bridlington. Please go to my East Yorkshire Railway thread - the link to it is in my signature.

I also have some audio recordings of them at work on the line. In addition I have notes - spotters notes if you like - and they could be seen working extras to Bridlington, Filey and Scarborough.

I hope this will be of some help. Railcar.co.uk has a great deal of information.

Best regards,

Rob.