Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Brompton & Fulham Goods and Coal Depot.

simon b

• RMweb Gold

Hi all. Following on from the freight on the underground thread, does anyone have pictures or info about the goods/coal yard at west brompton?

We know the coal trains came in via the district line, but what about the other traffic? I presume there was connection to the west london line at some point?

Many thanks. 

The coal and goods yard at West Brompton was an entirely LNWR affair, served by the West London Extension Railway, and with no connection to the District Railway, unlike the nearby West Kensington coal yard, which was owned by the Midland Railway and was connected to the District Railway just to the west of West Kensington station. Both can be found, complete with their track layouts, on the large scale OS maps available on line via either www.old-maps.co.uk or the National Library of Scotland.

Jim

• Like 1

The coal and goods yard at West Brompton was an entirely LNWR affair, served by the West London Extension Railway, and with no connection to the District Railway, unlike the nearby West Kensington coal yard, which was owned by the Midland Railway and was connected to the District Railway just to the west of West Kensington station. Both can be found, complete with their track layouts, on the large scale OS maps available on line via either www.old-maps.co.uk or the National Library of Scotland.

Jim

There is also a copy of the 1916 OS map in West London Line by Mitchell and Smith. Some photos in both that and The West London Railways by Atkinson.

Terry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting zig zag arrangement, in green at Kensington, listed as a MR Coal Depot........What was the idea of that?

I've borrowed this pic from the excelent metadyne website http://www.metadyne.co.uk/index.html it shows the difference in height that required that arrangement. 

35cb3-hskyoard.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Aha, that would explain it then. I didn't realize that there were two sites, I always thought it was the same place referred to by a different name! Thanks for the pointers to the OS maps, I'll have a hunt around on those. 

Edit: looking at those maps I cant believe how much used to be there compared to what is there now.

Edited by simon b

I'm working 6O51 down the West London line tomorrow morning, between North Pole and Shepards Bush now you wouldn't think there was anything of railway significance at all back in the day. The whole area would make a fantastic layout if set in the '50s, '60s or '70s.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly is!

It would make a great layout, the goods depot is straight from the peco overall roof...

It would be an ideal "corner filler", wouldn't it?

nls map here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=51.4991&lon=-0.1908&layers=168&b=1

Edited by scottystitch

There have been at least two illustrated articles, published in 'Bylines' over the years.

(Unfortunately, I'm in work at the moment, with no access to my collection)  

If I remember correctly, the one article illustrates LMS (rebuilt MR Johnson) 3F 0-6-0Ts working the coal train(s)

Brian R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There have been at least two illustrated articles, published in 'Bylines' over the years.

(Unfortunately, I'm in work at the moment, with no access to my collection)  

If I remember correctly, the one article illustrates LMS (rebuilt MR Johnson) 3F 0-6-0Ts working the coal train(s)

Brian R

I do wonder if these trains ever saw diesel working? I've seen pics of class 15 and 24 on other workings but not these.

I do wonder if these trains ever saw diesel working? I've seen pics of class 15 and 24 on other workings but not these.

These were my local goods depots. The one at West Kensington, the MR depot was interesting inasmuch as it also served a brewery which was situated on Lillie Road. that closed in the late 1920s IIRC and was later replaced by the Telfers Pie Factory. Look on the the FB "Fulham Community" group page, there's a pic on there of a MR outside frame condensing tank loco at the brewery site. That yard closed circa 1964/65. There's quite a few pics of it on the Fulham FB site. 

The West Brompton yard was indeed diesel served, usually by class 33 and 73 in latter years. I'm not sure when that closed, but part of the area was filled in front he Kensington & Chelsea Canal. The other depots were closed before diesels were commonly used, and as very few were trip cock fitted, would not usually be allowed to work on the DR. a friend reported seeing a Brush type 2 going through Hammersmith DR, but I think he was making it up. The West Ken and High street depots were usually served by the MR from Brent sidings at Cricklewood using Cricklewood trip cock fitted Jintys.

The Kensington High Street coal depot also closed around the same time as the West Kensington site and is now a hotel and blocks of flats.

You'll find more information on the workings of the District connected sites on the District Dave website.

There was a connection between the DR and the WLL at West Brompton in the early days, but AFAIK that was only for "service" trains, not goods for the goods yard.

What was of more interest to me was the connections between the NLL and DR at Gunnersbury, Turnham Green and Bollo Lane. Again there's been lengthy discussions about that on the District Dave site.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1