LBSCR J1/J2

Jack P

Hello again collective southern mind,

I'm working with someone to design and build a J class kit, and we have managed to get the body dimensions sorted. I am currently stuck for Chassis dimensions though. Would anyone be privy to some drawings or possibly dimensions for the chassis - or alternatively where  would I be able to find some, books/websites etc

Thanks in advance!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but were you aware that there are already kits for the Brighton "Pacific" tanks? Ace Products do an etched brass version in both 4 and 7 mill, and Golden Arrow have just produced a resin cast body to fit on a proprietary chassis (Hornby B12 I think) Admittedly I can't vouch for the accuracy of either, Ace having a certain reputation, and it's impossible to know what, if any, compromises GA made to make it fit the chassis.

If you are still after chassis information, although I'm not sure how you have managed to resolve the body without it, then there are a number of sources. Russell's Southern Locos will have drawings, although I haven't checked their quality, as sometimes there are only weight diagrams, I am pretty sure the pair appeared in Railway Modeller, perhaps a Beattie drawing, although I cannot give a date, and there is a lovely drawing in Maskelyne's Locomotives I Have Known, as well as a smaller one in the old, long out of print, book on Brighton Locomotives from 1903. Basic dimensions, wheel spacings etc. can also be found in Bradley's RCTS volume 3.

• Like 1

Hello again collective southern mind,

I'm working with someone to design and build a J class kit, and we have managed to get the body dimensions sorted. I am currently stuck for Chassis dimensions though. Would anyone be privy to some drawings or possibly dimensions for the chassis - or alternatively where  would I be able to find some, books/websites etc

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jack

Wheelbase is 6ft 3in + 6ft 0in + 7ft 3in + 7ft 3in + 8ft 6in.  Bogie wheels 3ft 6in  (10 spokes);  drivers 6ft 7.5in (20 spokes);  pony wheel 4ft 0in (12 spokes). 

I can send you diagrams (not detailed drawings) if you email me.

Chris KT

• Like 1

I don't want to rain on your parade, but were you aware that there are already kits for the Brighton "Pacific" tanks? Ace Products do an etched brass version in both 4 and 7 mill, and Golden Arrow have just produced a resin cast body to fit on a proprietary chassis (Hornby B12 I think) Admittedly I can't vouch for the accuracy of either, Ace having a certain reputation, and it's impossible to know what, if any, compromises GA made to make it fit the chassis.

If you are still after chassis information, although I'm not sure how you have managed to resolve the body without it, then there are a number of sources. Russell's Southern Locos will have drawings, although I haven't checked their quality, as sometimes there are only weight diagrams, I am pretty sure the pair appeared in Railway Modeller, perhaps a Beattie drawing, although I cannot give a date, and there is a lovely drawing in Maskelyne's Locomotives I Have Known, as well as a smaller one in the old, long out of print, book on Brighton Locomotives from 1903. Basic dimensions, wheel spacings etc. can also be found in Bradley's RCTS volume 3.

Not raining on my parade at all - having built a GA Z, and being unhappy with the difficulty of working with the brittle resin, I was trying to stay away from it, perhaps I got a bad one? As for the ACE kit.. heh, only if there is absolutely no other option.

I'm honestly not sure how the body was made without the drawings for the chassis?? I'm as confused as you.

Chris, thanks for the offer. I'll flick you an email!

Pete, I messaged John Harvey, who's the Southern HMRS steward, I wonder if he can give me a time frame for the availability of the drawing?