GT85

D08

• RMweb Gold

I'd personally steer clear of car engine oil as some contain quite exotic additives nowadays, the effects of which might be unpredictable.

GT85 is wonderful stuff, though. Especially useful on carriage and wagon axles that squeak when they move. 

I spray some into the lid and apply it to models using a small paintbrush.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Never used it on locos.

Fifteen years in wagon and coach bearings, no trouble at all, mix of kit built and RTR. Enables me to get 'close enough' to my free running benchmark, the old Trix Commonwealth bogies moulded in some ultra slippy polymer. These will detect gradients of around 1 in 350, or in plain terms roll away on 'level' track.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Has anyone used GT85 as a lubricant on their locos? Or as it's only minute amounts, car engine oil?

Thanks, Tim.

I certainly wouldn't recommend car engine oil; it is far to thick and designed to perform best at much higher temperatures than your locos will ever run at (I hope!), even if you can assure yourself that it contains nothing harmful to plastic components and nylon gears.  It's not the amount that is the problem, as you say this is minute, but the consistency.  Use a light machine oil and make sure it is recommended for model use and safe with plastics.  

• RMweb Gold

Those plastic tubes of model oil with a blunt needle applicator on the end, as sold by many model shops and the various modelling tool suppliers for about a fiver, are ideal, and easy, for locos. Correct type of oil for the job and no hassle getting the right amount where it's needed.

They last for ages, too. Unless, as I did with my last one, you don't notice it's fallen off the bench and tread on it.....

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I certainly wouldn't recommend car engine oil; it is far to thick and designed to perform best at much higher temperatures than your locos will ever run at (I hope!), even if you can assure yourself that it contains nothing harmful to plastic components and nylon gears.  It's not the amount that is the problem, as you say this is minute, but the consistency.  Use a light machine oil and make sure it is recommended for model use and safe with plastics.  

I've been using it in everything I've built (and sold) for at least 40 years now with no reported problems - unlike many other so-called "special" lubricants I've come across over the years. It isn't applied with an oil can, just the point of a cocktail stick and I've never seen the slightest effect on any plastic components.

Hi all,

I use fully synthetic motorcycle oil for my engines. Never had a problem, It has far less additives than car engine oil. Plus being fully synthetic it does not affect plastic like normal fossil based oils. But then again all my engines are about 25 years old or older...... :)

Edited by cypherman

I wouldn't use car engine oil it is not safe for some plastics. Especially if there is any chance of getting oil on motor armatures.

Oil leaks from car engines into starter motors and alternators ruins them by softening the insulation on the motor windings causing them to short out.