Forced Perspective

Edge

Hello there people.

I've been mulling over a layout idea ( i know, the third one, and not a single piece of track laid on any of them) which would combine a foreground OO scale layout with a background N scale layout, but I've rarely seen this done well and have no idea of how to actually go about making this and what sort of board depths and distances might be involved to make it look realistic?

Hello there people.

I've been mulling over a layout idea ( i know, the third one, and not a single piece of track laid on any of them) which would combine a foreground OO scale layout with a background N scale layout, but I've rarely seen this done well and have no idea of how to actually go about making this and what sort of board depths and distances might be involved to make it look realistic?

I've been thinking about this as well, sadly my first efforts don't look great. I'd be interested in any suggestions about this.

(ps still a relatively new member, sorry if I get the posting wrong).

Si.

• RMweb Gold

Look up the works of the late Jack Nelson, LNWR expert and proponent of forced perspective.

I haven't any recommendations as to titles but books on theatre stage set design may well have good tips as it is a common technique in stage and film work.

I have successfully used N gauge cattle on my 4mm EM layout of 'Whithorn'.  Photos attached.  The secret is to deceive the eye of the viewer.  Modelling everything hard up to the back scene at the same - say 1:76 - looks wrong and really does overpower the scenery to thge back of the layout.  Forcing the perspective soothes the eye.  In my view anything beyond the 'railway back boundary' towards the backscene should be modelled at the very least in H0 scale. Also there should not be a hard right angle junction between the baseboard and the backscene, but either a gentle curve, or a 'Ha-Ha' with the ditch masking the baseboard / backscene junction.  

In the attached photos the depth from the line of the railway track to the backscene is just 150mm (six inches) (AM)

post-1767-0-77041000-1545998085_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-65092600-1545998111_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Guest teacupteacup

I have successfully used N gauge cattle on my 4mm EM layout of 'Whithorn'.  Photos attached.  The secret is to deceive the eye of the viewer.  Modelling everything hard up to the back scene at the same - say 1:76 - looks wrong and really does overpower the scenery to thge back of the layout.  Forcing the perspective soothes the eye.  In my view anything beyond the 'railway back boundary' towards the backscene should be modelled at the very least in H0 scale. Also there should not be a hard right angle junction between the baseboard and the backscene, but either a gentle curve, or a 'Ha-Ha' with the ditch masking the baseboard / backscene junction.  

In the attached photos the depth from the line of the railway track to the backscene is just 150mm (six inches) (AM)

what sort of board depths and distances might be involved to make it look realistic?

How about no depth at all? Proceed to nearest art gallery and look at the work of a great landscape artist. It's all about the consistent reduction of scale toward the vanishing point and careful gradation of aerial perspective, especially in loss of colour saturation.

A skillset to be developed in short. Look at good examples, and give it a try, and another or three...