O gauge WW2 layout.

robnhen

Happy New Year to all :-)

Sorry but being new to this forum I am wondering if I am posting in the correct section...….

This year I am looking to make further in roads with my O gauge loft layout and want to go down a WW2 scene route.

The advice I am looking for is what others scales will match up as there seem to be very few model kits of that period in 1:43.

I can find loads of 1:48 & 1:35 scale items.

Anyone done this type of scene before and which looks best.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Edited by robnhen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

HI Rob,

I've looked at this as well, also for an airbase with 7mm NG line to munitions depot. PLM Castaways do cast metal figures in 7mm scale including WW1 And I think some WW2 military. They trade at Gauge 0 Guild events and some others but don't seem to have a website.

1:48 scale vehicles and figures are worth trying - eg the Airfix Battle of Britain refuelling set is good value & has 2 vehicles, Spitfire and figures/accessories, the Tamiya 1:48 range has a few British/American vehicles. Careful use of perspective can mean the slightly smaller figures don't look out of scale.

Go have a play....

Dava

Thanks Dava

My thoughts for my layout (obviously set during the 1940's) was going to be returning troops to a fictional country station, with a small siding and a breakers yard taking old trucks and ex military vehicles.

Plenty of scope for quite a bit if detail, plus using some Low Mac type wagons with trucks and tanks on to be off loaded at the breakers yard.

Ive seen this depicted in OO but not in O scale. Ive got a couple of Tamiya 1:48 army truck kits, that i'm going to build and compare to some 1:43 trucks I already have.

cheers

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all :-)

Sorry but being new to this forum I am wondering if I am posting in the correct section...….

This year I am looking to make further in roads with my O gauge loft layout and want to go down a WW2 scene route.

The advice I am looking for is what others scales will match up as there seem to be very few model kits of that period in 1:43.

I can find loads of 1:48 & 1:35 scale items.

Anyone done this type of scene before and which looks best.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I think your in the wrong place and might get more repsonse in the main 7mm modelling section.

• RMweb Gold

1:48 (a standard military modelling scale) is going to work much better than 1:35, especially if vehicles are in the background.

If you really want to focus on the military aspect, it may be simpler to do the rail part of it in 1:48 as well. That is, after all, "proper" O Scale and still used by the US.

Gramodels do a small range of military and civilian vehicles in resin, to 7mm scale

Page 8 on their catalogue

https://www.gramodels.co.uk/docs/GRA_Jan2017_Brochure.pdf

There have also been similar threads earlier in the RMweb calendar, such as in 2010 and before

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/27674-143-modern-military-vehicles/

Edited by Nick Holliday