Strensall (York / Scarborough line)

Andrew1974

Hi All,

I am trying to find information about the now long closed station at Strensall on the York / Scarborough line with a view to a potential modelling project.

If any one has any info (such as track layouts, signalling diagrams, anything really) I would be greatful if you could share. I have done the obvious google searches etc and have some limited info, but would like some more.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

As this is very close to where I live it intrigues me (but only to a point as it's swansea/neath and coal all the way for me). I had a quick glance at railmaponline.com, which shows a coal depot and a brick works, with what appears to be a few siding and a passing loop. Possibly quite interesting.

• RMweb Premium

The 1956 Railway Clearing House Handbook of Stations shows that it had facilities for handling the following traffics: Goods, Parcels & Miscellaneous, wheeled vehicles (various), Livestock, Horseboxes, and Carriages and Motor Cars by Passenger or Parcels Train.  Interestingly enough, not coal, and I think the small stations on that line closed to Passenger traffic in the 1930s?  It also has an entry under Strensall for the United Tile Manufacturers Ltd.'s siding.

• RMweb Premium

Well I was surprised as most stations like that did, but the entry for Strensall is "G" which the glossary gives as "Goods Traffic", rather than " G* " which it gives as "Coal Class, Mineral and S. to S. Traffic in Truck Loads".  Unless "G" also includes Coal Traffic, and G* excludes general goods?

The 1956 Railway Clearing House Handbook of Stations shows that it had facilities for handling the following traffics: Goods, Parcels & Miscellaneous, wheeled vehicles (various), Livestock, Horseboxes, and Carriages and Motor Cars by Passenger or Parcels Train.  Interestingly enough, not coal, and I think the small stations on that line closed to Passenger traffic in the 1930s?  It also has an entry under Strensall for the United Tile Manufacturers Ltd.'s siding.

I believe the station closed a little earlier than that, 1927 IIRC. Along with Haxby. It's not only the South of England that have lost really useful stations - these are both considerable small dormitory towns with a lot of commuting into York and elsewhere. I don't know about Strensall but Haxby station survived into the early 1980s before being built on.

Paul

Do you mean the military NG line at Strensall Camp? I was going to have a look at this but can you actually (safely) get anywhere near it?

Yes but there's no why to get to it so we bogged off to see if D3255 has had any work done on her which was a big no lol

According to the gazetteer in Ken Hooles book of NE stations:

Pop served (1911)=950

Tickers issued 1911 = 30691

Bricks =1037 tons

Hay / clover = 872 tons

Spent bark =480 tons

Livestock = 30 wagons

Only goods over 100 tons recorded. Year is 1913.

The North Eastern Railway Association will be able to supply you with the original NER track plan. The station was closed to passengers in 1930 along with most of the small stations on the York-Scarborough line as stopping trains serving them were getting in the way of through holiday traffic (The competing bus services into York from Strensall and Haxby having been acquired by West Yorkshire Road Car Company, which was partly owned by the LNER).

• Like 1

Thanks for all you helpful comments and pointing me in the direction of further info.

I fear the site is too big for me to make a faithful representation but I think I am going to devise a scheme encompassing a number of the features that appeal to me.

Obviously, if any one has any further info then all help and assistance greatfully received.

Andrew