RMweb

Hornby back in Margate?

Frond

I noticed whilst reading today's various discussions on Hornby's 2019 range a comment that they were back in Margate. The last that I was aware was that they had moved their offices elsewhere, so this is obviously a development that I have missed. Could someone fill me in on what has happened or direct me to the appropriate thread.

Thank you in anticipation

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you.

I'm surprised that this has been so low key as I seem to remember that there was quite a reaction when they moved out, either that or as I said in my original post it's just me who has failed to pick up on it - wouldn't be the first time!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a bad call. Depending where the materials are coming from, Manston is just down the road, and a serious amount of airfreight cargo goes that way. Places like Ramsgate are gearing up these days, so someone is on the ball.

Ian.

Not a bad call. Depending where the materials are coming from, Manston is just down the road, and a serious amount of airfreight cargo goes that way. Places like Ramsgate are gearing up these days, so someone is on the ball.Ian.

Er, Manston is shut and has been for some time as an airport.

If you mean lorries going to the tunnel I’m with you

Edit, iPad turned shut into something else

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold

Er, Manston is shut and has been for some time as an airport.

If you mean lorries going to the tunnel I’m with you

Edit, iPad turned shut into something else

Thanks Rob, I'm way out of date. I haven't been to Margate for a couple of years.

Ian.

Visibly, nothing will change - the Visitor Centre has remained open at Margate ever since, but the cafe shut down last year. Hopefully, they will re-open that, if they decide to have a staff canteen of some sort, but even that isn't really necessary now, given so many cafes and food stores within walking distance, at the Westworld centre, or some such name, and the burger van regularly outside B&Q next door.

One issue that will become a problem again is the parking.

• RMweb Premium

Visibly, nothing will change - the Visitor Centre has remained open at Margate ever since, but the cafe shut down last year. Hopefully, they will re-open that, if they decide to have a staff canteen of some sort, but even that isn't really necessary now, given so many cafes and food stores within walking distance, at the Westworld centre, or some such name, and the burger van regularly outside B&Q next door.

One issue that will become a problem again is the parking.

Cafe reopened last year...no longer run by the local college and in turn a smaller menu, but no longer sealed off looking sorry for itself.

• RMweb Gold

Worth noting that the site was bought by Locomotive Storage Ltd - which is owned by Jeremy Hosking (hence Bittern being on display there). 

Mr. Hosking at one point was (maybe still is?) a shareholder in Hornby Hobbies Ltd. 

These two things may be related. 

If I understand it correctly, t's the offices that are going back to Margate. Presumably the distributon will remain in Hersden - I recall that the Margate site was not considered ideal for that as t had been designed and built as a factory rather than a distribution centre.