Heljan O Gauge Mk 1 Coaches on Offer

Captain Cuttle

I see on both their website and Ebay that Hattons are selling Heljan Mk 1 coaches at substantial discounts, just bought a GUV for £147

Thanks for the heads-up.

I am just dipping my toe into O gauge and was thinking about getting a small rake of Mk1s, but I couldn't find a comparison anywhere between Heljan, Dapol and Darstaedt models. The search function of RMweb doesn't seem to throw anything up, either (though I can rarely get it to work for me).

I think I remember reading that the Heljans had some basic shape issues? Does anyone have any views about which of the manufacturers' products are the most accurate (low prices are nice, but less important to me than a good model).*

Paul

* Actually, would it be better to ask this question somewhere else? Help!

Heljan’s are slab sided, they don’t look quite right.

Darstaed have had good reviews but I would

Imagine the Dapol version will be a match or better than Darstaed

Thanks - much appreciated. This O gauge lark isn’t cheap.

Paul

They are wrong but still command a good price but the GUV is slab sided and being in Post Office red has limited appeal. Also having built many coach kits price wise I thought this was a bargain.

We may see this with the Dapol Class 122 as Tower have mentioned that they have orders for only a tenth of the Regional Railway livered ones.

Wait for the Dapol Mk 1s all reviews seem favourable, I believe nearly all the Darstead ones have sold out!

Wait for the Dapol Mk 1s all reviews seem favourable, I believe nearly all the Darstead ones have sold out!

Thanks very much for the advice.

I’ve actually pre-ordered a short rake of Darstaedt non-gangway Mk1s, so I guess I need to try to figure out whether they’ll look ok alongside Dapol Mk1s.

Decisions, decisions! Though it’s so nice to have the luxury of choice.

Paul