RMweb

DVT Lights replacement

Hi,

I have a R4472 W&S DVT where the Red tail light LED has failed,is there anywhere to obtain a replacement unit for one, I've looked on the Hornby Spares Website and Peters Spares all to no avail, the absence of a service sheet makes this more difficult to do, even a similar part from RS Components would suffice.

Many Thanks

TYL59

Hi,

I have a R4472 W&S DVT where the Red tail light LED has failed,is there anywhere to obtain a replacement unit for one, I've looked on the Hornby Spares Website and Peters Spares all to no avail, the absence of a service sheet makes this more difficult to do, even a similar part from RS Components would suffice.

Many Thanks

TYL59

It's unusual for a LED to fail, they normally have a very long life, unless of course it's been shorted out by accident.  Is it one of a pair of RED tail lights?  a photo of the failed LED would help identify it's type. Once the type is known, it should be fairly easy to find a suitable replacement.  Express Models or Squires are two suppliers worth trying

www.expressmodels.co.uk

www.squirestools.com

This is the failed part, it’s attached to the cab detail moulding. The white LED works perfectly but the red one is U/S.

The spring contacts used by Hornby can sometimes not make proper contact on the chassis. It's worth checking first to see if the Red LED will work by feeding power directly to the spring contacts, using a battery - an AA battery might work, if not use a PP9 but a 1Kohm resistor MUST be used with it, else you will blow any LED that is/was working.  The LED's used are small SMD type (surface mounted) possibly 0603 size ? which can be tricky to replace.

I'd try asking Hornby if spare light unit assemblies are available, if so, that would be the easier option to repair.

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260

Ive replaced the running lights to represent the newer WIPAC clusters, by using 2mm lighthouse LEDs. I used one white for the 'main beam', then two bi-colour white/red for the tail/marker lights.

I filled in the old marker lights with super glue, filed it flat, then painted the clusters black.

I don't think this is your problem in this case, but I had a headlight fail on my 87.

It was not a LED issue at all, but when fitting a decoder, I had lost a piece of clear plastic which reflects light from the central LED to one of the light fittings.

Even though this is a very small piece of clear plastic, I was hopeful that one day I will find it. I actually did!

Thank you for all your help

My Dad had a repainted one he bought of eBay, but we decided that it didnt need fully working lights as its intended purpose is to be with a loco on the sharp end at all times

we have replaced the unit between the both of them

Many Thanks

TYL59