The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Trailer tents

rodent279

We tow a micro caravan called a Go Pod with our Fiat 500L half the time you don't know it's on the back of you. We looked at a trailer tent when we bought it but we found they were heavier than the van and you had to find some way of drying it. I would recommend the Go Pod if there is just 2 of you.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

We tow a micro caravan called a Go Pod with our Fiat 500L half the time you don't know it's on the back of you. We looked at a trailer tent when we bought it but we found they were heavier than the van and you had to find some way of drying it. I would recommend the Go Pod if there is just 2 of you.

Marc

There's 3 of us including the Boy. I can store a trailer/trailer tent easier than a caravan.

Cheers N

I had a Raclet for a number of years and it was 2nd hand ( bought in1992 ) and a good few years old when I bought it. I got rid of it 3 years ago. It served us well on a number of trips to France The footprint was much less than a caravan so storage space was not much although I took the canvas off for the winter as it was in the garage.When fully opened and set up it was massive for just the 4 of us(2 Adults 2 Boys) and could have slept more. It was brilliant and we had some of our best holidays in it. Never had a problem drying it .

If I can tow a borrowed trailer tent to southern Ireland behind a 1098 Morris Minor then any one can! The Minor's brakes were some what tested but on the only time I had to "brake hard" the trailer's brake pulled us back. Find yourself an area where you can practice reversing and the time will not be wasted. 

There's a third alternative to the small 'van/trailer tent and that's the folding caravan. I wanted something more substantial than canvas but wanted more room than a small 'van. Had we carried on we'd have got a folder which are easy to tow as well.

My parents had a Danish made Combi Camp trailer tent about 40 years ago. It was a brilliant bit of kit; light weight and easy to tow and very easy to put up and down.  The luggage rack that covers the entire top of the folded tent is hinged across the back and folds up to make a counter balance as the tent itself unfolds.  the rack then forms a base for the rear part of the tent.  They used it for a number of continental holidays towing easily behind an MG 1100 and later a Saab V4. 

I have just Googled the Combi Camp.  They are still made and are sold by a UK agent at Thame in Oxfordshire and 3 or 4  agents around the country.