Hornby Silver seal Black five issue

vikingsmb

post-1698-0-24667600-1547664852_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, this is a long shot,

basically the permanent connection on a silver seal black five has snapped, I have tried to do a repair on it using the revel plastic glue but its snapped again, bit of a pain in the backside personally

is anyone able to repair this at all please? , but I would like it modified to the later connection (tender and loco separate arrangement) if possible as someone I believe has done so, I'am more than willing to pay for it though as I don't want to loose the loco

picture attached

Any information/input much appreciated

Many thanks Rob.

Edited by vikingsmb

early 70's mate, its the original Hornby black five with all wheels driven on the tender, and the tender/loco permanently connected, good hauler as well. my layout is 100% system 6 early half sleeper quadruple track

Edited by vikingsmb

• RMweb Gold

If you want to bring it a bit more current, the slightly newer tender chassis (which is still used today) is X896.

This would give you a “pin” connector.

The replacement drawbar is x895.

You would need to solder the wire from loco pick ups to the draw bar, and the opposite rail, to the tender frame.

Silver seal was a good idea, as all 6 wheels would have traction tyres in the tender, but relied on the loco for pickups, hence the permanent connection.

Here is what the revised one looks like.post-20773-0-75007300-1547670472_thumb.jpeg

I had one like this, which was sentimental, but rusted / seized between loco wheels and chassis. Instead I made mine a loco drive using a current Hornby railroad chassis (it’s a straight replacement) for the older one. You can then either have it double powered (tender and loco) or just remove the unneeded motor from the tender (which is what your seeing here, I just swapped tender chassis too, to be DCC ready).

Hornby's "Silver Seal" tender drives had traction tyres on both sides, and are excellent haulers as stated. This meant all pick ups were on the non driven main loco wheels, power transferred to tender via 2 fixed wires and a fixed drawbar.

The newer tender drives have tyres on one side only - the opposite sides pick up, with the other pick up on the loco supplying power via a disconnectable drawbar.

Perhaps you could use a modern drive connection to couple the loco to tender, leaving the power wires as is, or fabricate a new one from brass strip, attach to the tender with a small nut / bolt or self tapping screw.

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x8432m-class-a1-a3-a4-drawbar-with-pickups.ir

You would need to re route the wires where they pass through the coupling eye as in your photo. 

Good luck, Brit15

hi guys

thanks for your input on this, I will keep trying but worst case scenario I will scrap the loco and purchase a later ringfield one.

Cheers

Rob.

Hopefully you will sell rather than scrap, even with the faults it's not worth nothing, useful either as a project or for spares

The replacement chassis part is now coded X9104 (the old Black Five tooling was used for Henry in the now withdrawn Thomas the Tank range https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/servicesheets/index/download/id/32/). That used a twin pole drawbar connection so would make a simpler replacement (existing wires cut, removed from old chassis and the ends soldered in place to the chassis connection and the relevant drawbar, X9100). Snag is X9104 seems to be pretty scarce.

Edited by Butler Henderson

hi stewart,

Cardiff mate,

Cheers

Rob

Mmm fair distance. I was going to say if you were local, pop over and I could cobble something together. Also, I *think* I may have a complete tender drive loco + tender in my surplus box, but I'd have to search.

Stewart

• 5 weeks later...
On 16/01/2019 at 18:53, vikingsmb said:

post-1698-0-24667600-1547664852_thumb.jpg

Many thanks Rob.

your image was version was 1973-75 chassis with silver seal motor with brush caps and all six traction tyres, two wiring to loco. Part number Tender Chassis frame X825

1976 version same as above but tooling change for pin connector (no two wiring to loco) and reduced to two traction tyres. Part number Tender Chassis frame X895

In 1977 tooling change motor housing with arms on brush, two small weights and two traction tyres - still until 1987.

In 1988 the tender chassis will be metal such as 8F.

Edited by steventrain