Hardboard Baseboard?

Well, I was surprised too, but it appears that hardboard is an HDF. It might not be the only one, but apparently it is one.

Maybe there is some difference in terminology between the US and UK, or common language and tech language.

I guess the only way to really find out is to weigh a bit of MDF and a bit of hardboard of the same dimensions to check - my gut tells me that the hardboard would be lighter, but if it truly is HDF, it will be heavier.

I just checked: an 8x4 sheet of 3mm hardboard weighs c9.5kg, while the same sheet of 3mm MDF weighs c6.5kg. Conclusion - hardboard is indeed HDF.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

Well, I was surprised too, but it appears that hardboard is an HDF. It might not be the only one, but apparently it is one.

Maybe there is some difference in terminology between the US and UK, or common language and tech language.

I guess the only way to really find out is to weigh a bit of MDF and a bit of hardboard of the same dimensions to check - my gut tells me that the hardboard would be lighter, but if it truly is HDF, it will be heavier.

I just checked: an 8x4 sheet of 3mm hardboard weighs c9.5kg, while the same sheet of 3mm MDF weighs c6.5kg. Conclusion - hardboard is indeed HDF.

But to confuse further on a YouTube video I have just watched the narrator of the DIY video refers to polystyrene block insulation as HDF too. Edited by john new

The professional carpenter who made the baseboard for my first 00 trainset really excelled himself.  On Christmas Day, I woke to the Triang Jinty goods set and a 6ft x 4ft baseboard for it.  Not only had he omitted to wet the board prior to fastening it to the framework, he'd also made that framework (4 x sides + I across the middle) from 2 x 1 planed PAR on the flat i.e. 2" width against the hardboard ...

I've used it for the back scenes on my portable H0 layout which folds horizontally to make an open box and then for the lid of said box. For that and for fiddle yard screens it's fine but definitely not for baseboards. I have modelling books from the 1950s when timber was, if not still rationed then not long out of that, with stern warnings against it. I suspect that, in the absence of any other available material, some modellers did use it and never understood why they could not get good running.

BTW I've seen umpteen references to Masonite and Homasote in American magazines so wanted to know what British products they were equivalent to. Masonite. Is a brand of hardboard and commonly used for facias for permanent layouts as well as for backscenes while Homasote Is a recycled paper based insulation board, often used by RR modellers for trackbed,  that appears to be similar to Sundeala. i've not been able to find out just how close but I used sundeala for a North American (Canadianish) layout many years ago and it took track spikes well so probably pretty close.

Edited by Pacific231G