Intercity Class 90

RBE

Hi Cav,

Found this thread after a "Class 90" search as my sone wants me to "detail" his Scot Rail 90 (part of the Caledonian set which he wanted to sell ... but I persuaded him not to). It is a nice model in a nice livery but always lacked finesse and pulling power... so this thread has been useful. Details clocked... and looks like a bach warship ot Heljan hymek chassis ... what's the advantage of the Hymek chassis? I note you mentioned class 47 wheel sets for the warship which would suit me as I have a spare set from my current 47 project that's been P4 ultrascaled (although all of that might now change with a sprung bogie kit on the bench - please don't ask) .... but the pantograph looks good and I need to replace the awful offering on the model which will be lost the first time it enters the tunnel on my boys layout.

All useful stuff... aint' RMWeb great.

I don't suppose you're going to the members day are you?

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Jon, only just seen this. My 90 has a chassis cobbled together from Bachmann warship bits, I had the bits from 2 warships donanted to me ages back so used them on both my 90 and 87, the 87 needs a bit of a fettle though as its not running right yet. Having said that in the 90 it works well but does mean the battery boxes etc cant be cut away and super detailed as you need the pocket to fill with liquid lead, but after doing my 86 I think the Heljan solution looks and works better I think. The Heljan hymek has the correct bogie wheelbase for the 90 and is a very small job to redrill the bogie pivots to lengthen the chassis to fit a 90. I dare say the same can be done with the new Heljan class 86 chassis too and probably with very little fettling compared to what I did (although I used a Heljan class 26 for that as it was far cheaper and the shorter bogie wheelbase on the 26 actually perfectly matched the incorrect Hornby bogies perfectly). You pays your money really. I'm a bit of a skinflint as money is tight so will always go for the cheapest option and work a bit harder.

The pan makes a hell of a difference and not that difficult to scratchbuild really either. Definately worth a go if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Cav

I am indeed. There isnt much progress at the minute but should be some movement on the project over the next couple of months. I also have my class 318, a rake of mk 3 coaches and my freightliner flats on the workbench besides a few commision repaints and weatherimgs so things are a bit stretched at the mo.

Cav

Archived