Help with motor problem

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I've got a wierd problem with the Oxford Dean Goods that I recently did a sound installation on. Here.

It was running well the other day but suddenly stopped and hasn't run since. I obviously immediately suspected my installation and started testing things. This is what I have found:

• The Zimo decoder is fine - it makes sounds and will drive another Dean Goods loco when I swap tenders.
  • I tried resetting the decoder just in case the PWM or back-EMF settings were corrupt and unable to drive the motor for some reason. No change.
  • The motor is fine - it works freely when removed from the loco and connected to a 9V battery. It offers no unusual resistance when I twist the spindle by hand.
  • The wiring between motor and decoder is not the problem because I have temporarily tacked wires directly from motor to decoder and yet the motor still does nothing significant *.

* When I say nothing significant I mean that the motor does not rotate when the decoder should be powering it but it does twist and buzz slightly every now and then.

At this point I'm stumped because I appear to eliminated everything!!!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Edited by Harlequin

Hi everyone,

I've got a weird problem with the Oxford Dean Goods that I recently did a sound installation on. Here.

It was running well the other day but suddenly stopped and hasn't run since. I obviously immediately suspected my installation and started testing things. This is what I have found:

• The Zimo decoder is fine - it makes sounds and will drive another Dean Goods loco when I swap tenders.
  • I tried resetting the decoder just in case the PWM or back-EMF settings were corrupt and unable to drive the motor for some reason. No change.
  • The motor is fine - it works freely when removed from the loco and connected to a 9V battery. It offers no unusual resistance when I twist the spindle by hand.
  • The wiring between motor and decoder is not the problem because I have temporarily tacked wires directly from motor to decoder and yet the motor still does nothing significant *.

* When I say nothing significant I mean that the motor does not rotate when the decoder should be powering it but it does twist and buzz slightly every now and then.

At this point I'm stumped because I appear to eliminated everything!!!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Hi Phil,

Just because the motor runs when connected to a 9 volt battery it does not necessarily mean it is fine. It might have some shorted turns so that it draws more current than the Zimo can provide. Its magnet may have gone out of spec or separated from the rest of the magnetic circuit - again resulting in a higher current.

A way to check this would be to get hold of a meter than can measure up to 10 amps DC and put it between the 9V battery and the motor (no DCC decoder in circuit).

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

...The motor is fine - it works freely when removed from the loco and connected to a 9V battery. It offers no unusual resistance when I twist the spindle by hand.

The wiring between motor and decoder is not the problem because I have temporarily tacked wires directly from motor to decoder and yet the motor still does nothing significant *.

When I say nothing significant I mean that the motor does not rotate when the decoder should be powering it but it does twist and buzz slightly every now and then...

This suggests the motor is locked by the drive line. Did the chassis roll freely with the motor removed?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Just because the motor runs when connected to a 9 volt battery it does not necessarily mean it is fine. It might have some shorted turns so that it draws more current than the Zimo can provide. Its magnet may have gone out of spec or separated from the rest of the magnetic circuit - again resulting in a higher current.

A way to check this would be to get hold of a meter than can measure up to 10 amps DC and put it between the 9V battery and the motor (no DCC decoder in circuit).

Regards

Nick

Thanks, I will do that.

I would assume that you have checked for mechanical issues.

Thanks, there may be some tightness in the loco chassis but the motor wouldn't run even when removed from the chassis and just connected to the decoder by flying wires. As I said, it turns freely by hand.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Regards

Nick

The motor, removed from the chassis completely, draws 1.1A from a 9V battery.

• RMweb Gold

Video evidence:

The current measured is higher when the motor refuses to start and somewhere between 1.1A and 0.9A when running - slightly different each time.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

If you have to spin the motor to get it to run then this would indicate a winding has failed in some way and has gone open circuit. This would account for the high current draw before you spin it to get it going. At 9v the rpm will be pretty high, so as it spins, once every revolution the open circuit will occur allowing a high running draw reading.

I take it you do not have a simple DC controller of any kind. I am sure this would reveal that the motor won’t start without assistance on low volts either, a basic sign of a failed winding. Under these circumstances it isn’t surprising the Zimo can’t run it, nothing will.

Best you return the loco, if you can, or contact Oxford about the problem.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

If you have to spin the motor to get it to run then this would indicate a winding has failed in some way and has gone open circuit. This would account for the high current draw before you spin it to get it going. At 9v the rpm will be pretty high, so as it spins, once every revolution the open circuit will occur allowing a high running draw reading.

I take it you do not have a simple DC controller of any kind. I am sure this would reveal that the motor won’t start without assistance on low volts either, a basic sign of a failed winding. Under these circumstances it isn’t surprising the Zimo can’t run it, nothing will.

Izzy

Thanks. Yes, having to "bump start" the motor does rather suggest something's gone seriously wrong!

Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction - I would never have expected the motor to fail like that but I know what to look for now. Is this sort of failure common?

I'll have to see what Hatton's or Oxford say but since I've heavilly modified the tender to hardwire the decoder and fit the speaker and Supercap I'll be very happy to pay for a replacement motor.

• RMweb Premium

Izzy

Surely you mean "Short circuit"?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  I'll be very happy to pay for a replacement motor.

Maybe you could consider a different motor?

The original really shouldn't have packed up this soon.

You can still get the slim Mashima motors, maybe one would fit?

MHK1024: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mashima-Can-motors-12v-DC-10-12-16-18-series-/132096509708

Cheers

Keith

Phil,

see here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107457-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-gwr-dean-goods/?p=3255818

and many other posts in same topic about motor and drive train problems experienced with this model

With the track record of this loco you were lucky to get one that ran well as you did. Others like myself went thru much pain and effort to get to that point. The motor issue might well be totally unrelated to your sound install job.

I had a brand new Hornby 0-6-0 loco motor short out during running in (after 20 min) - QC at the Chinese motor factories may not be up to scratch right now

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Colin, I was aware there had been some problems reported but I wasn't looking forward to delving through that thread!

Your link was very useful, thanks, and showed that melmerby is clearly the expert in these matters!

P.S. I know what you mean about RTR locos these days - after I've got this Dean Goods off the workbench I've got a Heljan 47xx waiting to have it's gearbox replaced and sundry small parts fixed back on.

• RMweb Premium

Surely you mean "Short circuit"?

Keith

No. I have always seen a short circuit as where opposing polarities connect without resistance. Open circuit as where there is resistance of some kind, but only a little, say in this case where probably - it’s all conjecture after all - the enamelling has failed/something similar (the same end result).

Not nice whatever.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

I had a motor fail in a Bachmann 08 after just 3 months and very little use. Could not find a reason. Having converted it both body and chassis wise (P4), I was lucky I had spare Mashima 1833 from my O gauge days I could transplant.

If you can fit a Mashima as Keith suggests that would be the best bet. Don’t know what people will do when stocks of them finally run out. Decent alternatives in a range of sizes haven’t appeared, and I think are unlikely to.

Izzy

There was an online demo of hundreds of these batteries plugged together terminal to terminal and there was enough energy to melt a spanner shorted across the final terminals. In a dead short a battery will give all it has no matter its size.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

No. I have always seen a short circuit as where opposing polarities connect without resistance. Open circuit as where there is resistance of some kind, but only a little, say in this case where probably - it’s all conjecture after all - the enamelling has failed/something similar (the same end result).

Not nice whatever.

Izzy

A short circuit is when there is no resistance (or very little) when there should be.

An open circuit is when there is no connection, so no circuit, so infinite resistance.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

A short circuit is when there is no resistance (or very little) when there should be.

An open circuit is when there is no connection, so no circuit, so infinite resistance.

Keith

Ah, right. Many thanks, I stand corrected. Always understood it this way, so it shows you're always learning!

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

• 2 weeks later...