KATO N Scale Danish NOHAB

justin1985

Having rather esoteric modelling interests in collecting Scandinavian N gauge, I'm not that surprised that I haven't seen any real mention of KATO's new model of the iconic NOHAB locomotive in English at all. This is also my first ever KATO locomotive, so here is my little review ...

med_gallery_3740_890_126343.jpg

The 'NOHAB' is a large class of GM derived diesel locos made by Nydqvist & Holm AB in Sweden during the 1950s. More correctly they are known as DSB (Danish State Railways) class MY, but batches were also built for the NSB (Norwegian State Railway) as class Di3, MÃV of Hungary as Class M61, CFL (Luxembourg) as Class 1600 and SNCB of Belgium as class 52. They are also now in service with many private operators in Sweden and Germany, and I believe in Kosovo.

The first N scale model of the class was by Piko in the 1970s and was very basic. Then I think later in the 1970s Minitrix released a model, which is still being actively re-released in their catalogue. The Trix model is reasonably fine for a model dating back many decades, and was updated with directional lighting. However I believe the model lacks flywheels or DCC compatibility, and doesn't even have proper windows - just black painted holes where they should be! I think the current catalogue model is in SNCB livery, although I owned a recent one in the most modern DSB Gods blue and yellow livery (eBayed that one now).

I was excited to hear KATO were releasing a model in N scale, and ordered one through Osborns. Having heard so much about the legendary status of Kato relative to British and European N scale, I was quite curious to give it a go.

So, first thoughts. It is a very fine model that catches the look of the prototype very well, and is much subtler than the chunky lines on the Minitrix model (which still retails at the same price new).

med_gallery_3740_890_72208.jpg

However, after getting used to modern Farish and Dapol models where there seems to be a race to add as much separate detail as possible, there is almost no non-moulded detailing on the KATO Nohab! All the fan grilles, foot steps and handrails are simply moulded plastic ... and very fine they are indeed. The handrails certainly look much better than the chunky, but separately applied, ones on the Dapol cl.66, for example.

The only separate details are a pair of roof aerials (plastic) and a pair of clear orange plastic warning lights (non working). I have read that the particular loco that Kato have chosen to model, 1136, was scrapped before DSB gave the class these lights in the 1990s (I think they are associated with remote-control shunting gear?)

med_gallery_3740_890_175937.jpg

Also unlike a modern British N loco, the "bag of bits" is very sparse indeed. The only parts are a replacement set of snowploughs/deflectors which can be used to replace those with the coupling cut-out if you remove the coupling from its NEM pocket. These really make the look of the model. Worthy of note is the fact that the coupling pockets are mounted on a close-coupling mechanism rather than the bogie. This is a much superior solution, I don't know why British manufacturers can't do this on locos if they can on wagons.

Unlike the Minitrix model, while this has directional lighting, there is no red for tail lights. All three headlights\marker lights illuminate in a warmish yellow in the direction of travel, but simply turn off in the other, rather than turn red. Obviously this is better if the loco is operating as part of a train, but not if it is light engine. Ideally this would be controllable via a DCC function, but by not including the red LEDs KATO have precluded this option.

Other points:

6 pin DCC socket

All axles driven (but with one traction tyre on each bogie)

Detailed cab interior

Great depth of detail on bogies

As with all KATO models pick-up is by pin-point bearings rather than anything rubbing against the wheels (this is used on the new Farish 150 too) and as expected running is very good indeed. However, compared to a new Farish 37, I would say it is about the same, certainly no better. The slowest speed obtainable is something more than a crawl, but the top speed is relatively low, giving very fine control around the mid-range. It has run without a stutter so far, and the lights without a flicker.

The cheapest price I have seen for the model is Euro115, which with current exchange rates makes the £115 that Osborns are charging quite reasonable. Overall I would say it is a very good model, but certainly in the same league as modern British stock. Perhaps we have all been throwing around comparisons with Japanese stock a little too liberally, and British N has indeed caught up now?

Out of interest the model is posed on my first attempt at a 2mm FS "Easitrack" turnout (built at a seminar at the MRC this Sunday) - the locos fine wheel profiles seem to run through the 2mm FS flangeways and clearances with little or no trouble!

Ooh. Definitely tempted by that, despite currently modelling UK and Switzerland. If they release it in EpIII maroon I'd find it even harder to resist.

Has anyone ever done accurate DSB coaching stock in N?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that...an interesting piece. I saw one 'in the flesh' down at Gaugemaster the other day, and yes it looked very impressive.

I would be interested in seeing its haulage capacity. I model Japanese N gauge, and the Kato mechanisms are extremely powerful...for example a full 16-car bullet is powered by a single motor coach. However, I have found that some of the Kato/Lemke motors are far less powerful...I am somewhat disappointed with the haulage capacity of the European class 66 model, which is roundly outperformed by its Japanese stablemates, most European models, and most certainly the Bachmann/Farish class 60.

Has anyone ever done accurate DSB coaching stock in N?

Well there have been some DSB coach models out there ... certainly Arnold, Minitrix and I think Fleischmann have done them over the years. Whether they are correct or not is a different matter! I have picked up some second hand Arnold DSB sleeper wagons in the 90's "night" liveries - fireworks and star and moon . They aren't particularly fine models though, and who knows if they are strictly accurate, I suspect just generic German models in this nice livery! (interestingly some old BR Mk3 sleepers also ended up in this livery!)

Minitrix also did the sleepers, I haven't seem them in the flesh, but they look somewhat better. Supposedly from the 2004 catalogue. Minitrix set

I have seen some DSB N day coaches on eBay and in second hand boxes at shows, I think some Fleischmann with suburban style doors (1/3 and 2/3 down body rather than at ends) but again no idea if they are accurate!

There is a quite good tutorial at www.skala-n.dk for converting Fleischmann or Minitrix (Google translate)

I'm using the Fleischmann Ep.IV brown livery SJ express coaches, and a selection of mainly German registered but Nordic themed freight stock (Maersk, Nordwaggon,Transwaggon etc.)

I enjoyed reading your review. I have always liked the look of that NOHAB loco.

Its an interesting question as to whether British N has caught up with its Japanese counterparts. In terms of detail I would suggest we are certainly getting there and as the new generation of trains develops I think the detail will continue to improve.

What really bugs me about British N gauge is the motor mechanisms. I have several different kinds of Japanese motors by several manufacturers. I asked for advice about how to service them when I made my first purchases and I was told that they required no running in and no oiling (EVER!). Apparently the mechanisms employed by some of the Japanese manufacturers (Modemo being one) is some sort of Teflon non stick coated gears which have been employed successfully for over 20 years. I was told that one collector took out a 20 year old N gauge Steam loco and ran it without problem after it was stored for over 10 years. This impressed me and made me wonder why is British N gauge still using motors that require oiling and running in when the Japanese have been making mechanisms that do not require this for some time?

I think that the mechanisms in British N have definitely improved over the years but when you think that costs could be reduced by using Japenese designed equipment as well as improving reliability and reducing servicing it does make me think that maybe companies like Dapol (whose motors are, quite frankly, poor) should make more of their partnership with Tomix and concentrate on the detail of the models.

Archived