Multiple boxfiles

Ok so with Scalescenes downloadable boxfile scene being labelled as "001", meaning maybe more are in the works, what is the biggest layout made out of boxfiles? How many people have put several together to make one  almost "normal sized" layout? This gave me an idea for a meat produce line, maybe the back of the factory in the twilight years on Industrial steam (Ok the 70s then) with the factory being the last traffic for the branch. I am working on the assumption the line went on to a water pumping station, rather like the Engineerium in Hove, where I did my work experience when I was 15. We could assume the station is about to go over to electric power so this is the last summer of coal trains down the branch while the necessary conversions are made but the meat packing factory also receives a daily train of vans for loading with the locomotive running round off scene. Perhaps several boxfiles on a wooden frame would work. I'll have to come up with a solution but perhaps its on e to add to the 'to do' list. A good amount of industrial decay and grime would be necessary and lots of static grass. Not too much ballast however as inlaid track and moss growing in between the sleepers would likely predominate.

One to think about, I'll come up with some back story but it'll likely fit into the narrative of my own fictitious "East Hampshire" theme.

• Like 1

Catte Lane currently consists of 5 linked boxfile s and a fiddlestick. Each 'scene' is different but 2 of boxes are permanently connected and will, when I finish it, form a single 'scene'.

The layout has thread on here.

steve

Ah excellent. I'm thinking of a frame to mount them in just to hold them steady, maybe a small cassette fiddle yard or something. Trains would only consist of a few wagons anyway, enough to be hauled by an 0-4-0 or something. Maybe have a reception siding to allow wagons to be split for loading/unloading and hauled away by a class 33 or a Dean goods or whatever suits your layout. I'll have a bit more of a think but I definitely have a concept in mind. 

• Like 1

I made a three box layout (2 scenic boxes and a fiddleyard box), but at exhibitions operational boredom quickly set in, so I added another three boxfiles (again, two scenic and a fiddleyard). Now I can operate the layout as a three-box one, a four-box one, or a six-box one! My link below to 'Brierley Canal Road' will take you to the thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Booking Hall said:

I made a three box layout (2 scenic boxes and a fiddleyard box), but at exhibitions operational boredom quickly set in, so I added another three boxfiles (again, two scenic and a fiddleyard). Now I can operate the layout as a three-box one, a four-box one, or a six-box one! My link below to 'Brierley Canal Road' will take you to the thread.

thanks! That looks terrific. It also led me to think about how I'm going to link the boxes together. At the moment I might mount them onto a basic wooden frame to keep them all level and lined up, as well as hiding any wiring. If I'm using more than one then I swear by the Table cleats from Unico as we used these in Shoreham MRC years ago and they still sell them. You just push them together and twist

These things

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether this qualifies, but here are two Really Useful Box wrapping boxes connected by a short piece of track totalling a running length of 59".  Together they form "Kidmore Boxed" (see separate thread).  The LH box can be used alone with a fiddle stick.

DSCF1596.JPG

• Like 3