Identifying best Bachmann Class 37 donor chassis

faa77

I'm looking at a list of Railfreight Grey, Railfreight red stripe and sector 37s I would like to model. However, I am struggling to see many differences between the various class 37 chassis Bachmann have produced. The obvious difference is the circular markings/writing on the fuel tanks (see photos below). However, the fuel tanks are so dirty in Flickr photos I am finding it difficult identifying the best donor chassis. Take "Conidae" below, I have no chance trying to find a photo with the white parts, as they will be so dirty in photos.

Did any other locos besides 37507 have the similar "coloured" wheel components?

Are there any more differences in Bachmann chassis'?

Are there any rules like 37/5 always had a particular chassis etc?

image.png.361fc956630d0c515e1ccb76022af007.png

image.png.93347ec26c1bafc0df6567ab76baa2f0.png

image.png.d379b0a4ea12cf43920f35a78a66bfa6.png

image.png.caee665973cdc0c0449ad41b3f8f3ced.png

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Gold

In reality, Embellishments were generally associated to recent shopping and a naming ceremony. 37’s werent known for royal train duties, i’m sure they must have, but 47’s (47541/620/821 etc) / 73142 were preference locos, latterly 47798/9.

most 37’s would just come out with plain black bogies, wheels.

more recently Bogie springs have been picked out in red on DRS 37’s, instead of white as on 37507, but the pipe work is white, axle box covers yellow is fairly the norm on a recent repaint. 

The bogie frames / underframe ive not found any differences over the years in the Bachmann model, but reality is quite different. BR had several variations.

But inside the mechanisms, and electrics have evolved over the years in the Bachmann model.

most noticeable is is wiring to the LEDs in the cab roof / nose.

All of the ones above are refurbished chassis examples.

the other chassis represents the pre-1980s version, where the nose cowl extends to wrap around the bufferbeam incorporating the buffer, which is round not oval. These are easy to spot, they will be blue,  with the yellow end extending around the buffers or BR Green (37’s really were ugly ducklings until the 1980’s).

Again later DRS 37’s some have oval, but squared off at the sides.

Remember when it comes to paint, after the first few refuels the tanks are oily black obscuring anything anyway, including fueling gauges.

Bodies however is a completely different story.

Edited by adb968008

Some of the loco's lost their footsteps on at least one of the tanks, e.g. 37057 pre Green repaint. As always refer to photos, to be honest chassis mods are easier than doing body mods so I would get the right body and then change the chassis.