Brick Road Overbridge; double track, Honiton Incline.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Brick overbridge on the bank, about 3/4mile east of Honiton Tunnel. I'm  trying to identify the brickwork for this. I'm not  absolutely determined to get the correct bond, however it would be great to identify the style used if possible. Was there a LSWR standard or was it just a local thing?  I have tried to get a photo but all I can achieve is a screen shot of the road and top walls from Street View. If anyone could help I would be most grateful as then I can purchase suitable materials from S.E. Finecast.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hello,

My chum is local to Honiton but which road bridge - there is Hutgate Road and Northcote Hill, the latter is closer to the tunnel's eastern portal.

If you can be more specific, he can visit the site.

Jack

• RMweb Premium
On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:50, Jack Benson said:

Hello,

My chum is local to Honiton but which road bridge - there is Hutgate Road and Northcote Hill, the latter is closer to the tunnel's eastern portal.

Jack

Blimey that is thoughtful. It is the one nearest the tunnel and I did go under it almost this time last week en route to Central. However we were moving quite quickly and there was a lot of foliage about. If they could do that for me it would be amazing. I'm really interested in what the brick style is and the shape below the road; is it abutments? I think they are curved but not certain. Street View only shows the top parts. Very happy to arrange some sort of gratuity for the favour.

Sincerely, Phil

On 17/03/2019 at 10:50, Jack Benson said:

Hello,

Jack

If both bridges are original the brickwork is almost certainly similar ........... and being a railway construction quite likely to be English bold .............. but ................................

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:19, Jack Benson said:

Please be patient, we will try to visit the site within the next two weeks.

Jack

Jack, my layout is in suspension and has been more or less for years so please, only when it is convenient (or maybe a special is coming through)so thank you again.

Phil

Guest Jack Benson

Mallard60022,

As promised, my chum, visited Honiton Tunnel's eastern end and has created a blog to display the images.

Not easy to access and the low sun made it difficult.

Honiton Tunnel

Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

I am sorry for the late response. I seem to not be getting alerts to responses...………. as I had not pressed the correct button on this new system!

Very useful thank you and please thank the fine person for doing me such a kind favour. If by any chance I can reciprocate with any pics of stuff around my area in North Nottinghamshire then just let me now.

All the best jack,

Phil