Small loco works, 3d printed models

On 16/04/2019 at 19:34, Killian keane said:

the Thwaites 0-6-0 is 80% done, anybody got the inside diameter of a 4'6" tyre in 00 handy?

2019-04-16-19-33-00.png

I assume this is so that you can 3D print wheel inserts?

I spoke to Colin at Alan Gibson about this issue last weekend. He said that the insert would have to be specific to a given manufacturer's wheel.  Even then he felt that it would be incredibly difficult to get a precise fit.

On the latter point, I note that Turbosnail has successfully done this with his Single tank.  He used Romfords. 

I think you need to choose a specific manufacturer's wheels, get hold of them and measure it yourself.

How have you got on with ovalising (!) the boiler?

17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I assume this is so that you can 3D print wheel inserts?

I spoke to Colin at Alan Gibson about this issue last weekend. He said that the insert would have to be specific to a given manufacturer's wheel.  Even then he felt that it would be incredibly difficult to get a precise fit.

On the latter point, I note that Turbosnail has successfully done this with his Single tank.  He used Romfords. 

I think you need to choose a specific manufacturer's wheels, get hold of them and measure it yourself.

How have you got on with ovalising (!) the boiler?

Ill make the inserts 4' 6" diameter to be turned down to fit,  the boiler is oval now, though ever so slightly its hardly noticeable, lion for example had a boiler only some 2" higher than it was wide when new if my memory serves,  the tender has its flair and all that has to be done is the chassis and the backhead detail, which does not amount to a lot of time 

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One final design work post before you start seeing test prints,  the completed Thwaites and Carbutt goods and a Sharpie goods,  both from Mr Boulton's stable,  the latter was a very widespread class with examples owned by the LNWR,  LSWR,  Manchester and Leeds,  Manchester and Birmingham, Birmingham and Gloucester and St Helens Railways amongst others 

2019-05-10-15-52-57.png

2019-05-10-16-30-40.png

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 16/05/2019 at 09:43, Edwardian said:

The finished Thwaites and Carbutt loco looks excellent.  Please do let me know if and when available for sale! 

I assure you its when and not if,  the first print of Seaford has been ordered,  and the thwaites 0-6-0 will be next,  in the meantime if any members on here with printers want to give it a go Ill happily send them the files 

Edit: Im very pleased to see several people have taken me up on this offer :D

2019-05-17-16-20-20.png

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Killian keane said:

To say this is a difficult design would be a tongue in cheek remark, no elegant curvature to worry about, very little curvature at all for that matter 

2019-06-11-20-10-41.png

I'm already on a high as the Thwaites & Carbutt print arrived today - pictures to follow - but, OOh, this looks like ....

226960003_Neilson0-4-0ST370of1856.jpg.2718a69e27f5d10a498a56267351098a.jpg

I've always loved these (ever since encountering Neil, on Sodor) and there is, believe it or not, already one listed on the early WNR roster. So, perhaps this could be another loco passed to the Norfolk Minerals?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:55, Killian keane said:

Another appeal for drawings if I may,  this time the LCDR Echo class, I have a side drawing as built but I do also quite like them in rebuilt form as 4-4-0s, thanks,  Killian 

lcdr (2).jpg

Oo, oo oo!  I am a very naughty boy!  If you print one of these I am likely to buy one.  One was based at Faversham where my wife's grandparents lived, but it probably had a full cab and had been reboilered so probably nothing like one you might produce.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Oo, oo oo!  I am a very naughty boy!  If you print one of these I am likely to buy one.  One was based at Faversham where my wife's grandparents lived, but it probably had a full cab and had been reboilered so probably nothing like one you might produce.

There's not an enormous amount of difference between 1865 condition and c. 1905 condition when it comes down to it,  just the boiler and cab,  itd be the biggest loco Ive ever done,  and Ill happily do it given access to drawings, I have two photos of them in secr days and they're still very handsome machines, in addition theres a nice stud of secr rtr plus turbosnails f1 so that would be a sensible move

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Killian keane said:

There's not an enormous amount of difference between 1865 condition and c. 1905 condition when it comes down to it,  just the boiler and cab,  itd be the biggest loco Ive ever done,  and Ill happily do it given access to drawings, I have two photos of them in secr days and they're still very handsome machines, in addition theres a nice stud of secr rtr plus turbosnails f1 so that would be a sensible move

Could be tempted, and, indeed, I was tempted quite recently ....

DSCN1128.JPG.a0ac9ee4fa2478fd32d871b19c1f93e3.JPG

DSCN1130.JPG.da1a67465952cde571e51312a5aa7ae0.JPG

Many thanks both to Killian and to Knuckles. 

Just have to work out how to motorise it ,,,

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well James I must ask,  is the 0-6-0 satisfactory detail-wise conpared with your thoughts on Dr Newmans products?  I must apologise I cant offer it for a lower price at the minute as Im not taking a cut as it is so its up to knuckles,  Im looking forward to seeing it build up 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Killian keane said:

Looking at the pictures I have in the RCTS book of the Locomotive History of the LCDR they do not look very different although the cab followed the curve of the rear splasher and there was a sandbox on the filled in front splasher; easier to take back in time rather than forward.  !905 condition is the same as the 1890s which is when I would need to it be based.  The boiler appears the same and the cab could be added.

The LCDR appears to have less made for it than the Cambrian.  Perhaps I should go to a re-education camp and do a GWR BLT.

1 hour ago, Killian keane said:

Well James I must ask,  is the 0-6-0 satisfactory detail-wise conpared with your thoughts on Dr Newmans products?  I must apologise I cant offer it for a lower price at the minute as Im not taking a cut as it is so its up to knuckles,  Im looking forward to seeing it build up 

In reviewing my answer, I realise that I have composed something of a product review, but I hope it will be useful to both you and others. 

The detail looks good and to be in scale.  It's a fairly sparse loco and hardly replete with surface detail, but where it should be found, it is found. The visible parts of the loco springs seem to have formed, the cab sheets are much finer, with much finer stanchion supports than on Lion (although one side suffered a slight crack, which can easily be repaired), and the planking to the firebox is nice and narrow, with the grooves clearly discernible without looking exaggerated. The boiler bands are similarly fine and subtle, but perfectly captured. 

The top of the chimney, the top of the haystack firebox and the tender faring are fine and elegantly shaped.  These have come out looking very good, so I think you have succeeded in designing a practical print that does not compromise the appearance of the thin edges of such features on the prototype.     

It will need priming, I guess, before the detail shows up, so I'm afraid that my pictures do not do the fineness or detail of the print justice.  

More skill in both design and in printing (by Knuckles) than is immediately obvious must underlie this print.  

As to cost and quality, it was an instructive exercise.

First, I would say, the resin used by Knuckles is smoother and better than Shapeways FUD (or whatever it's now called).  I have the same Sharp Stewart tenders from Knuckles in both media.  His home-printed resin is smoother.

Second, it's cheaper.  We know this from comparing Knuckles' Shapeways and non-Shapeways lists.  In the case of your Thwaites & Carbut, I uploaded the files to Shapeways in order to find out how much it would cost in comparison using Shapeways FUD.

I was not surprised to learn that the non-mark-up Shapeways cost was greater than the marked-up Photon quote from Knuckles. The small items, buffers and chimneys, also fell victim to the Shapeways pricing structure; you'd need them all on a 'sprue' printed together to make it cost effective.  As configured, the non-markup cost of the 4 buffers on Shapeways would have been £28.48. 

The Shapeways total for the bodies, buffers and chimney in FUD, without mark-up, came to £82.18, excluding postage. The cost of printing the chassis is not included in this total.

With Knuckles printing the bodies and fittings in resin, and me printing the chassis off Shapeways in WSF, the total cost to me, inclusive of postage from both suppliers, was £74.75.

To do all the prints on Shapeways in FUD and WSF, using my own account, so paying no-one's mark up, would have costs c.£100. Clearly, if you have access to a Photon printer, or to someone who will print to order for a reasonable margin, you are going to get better quality finishes on things like loco and rolling stock bodies for less than the cost of printing these in FUD via your own Shapeways account.

WSF remains a good choice for the chassis, though, and here Shapeways did represent the marginally better option in mechanical properties and was cost-effective.  

I elected not to print the wheels, as I do no feel confident in my ability to replace wheel centres with sufficient precision.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I don't believe Ive formally announced Jenny lind on rmweb, it should be ready for printing by Saturday or Sunday this week, like the sharp 0-4-2 it shares a tender plus boiler mountings with other classes which could potentially be modelled in the future

2019-06-19-19-50-29.png

2019-06-19-19-55-39.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Killian keane said:

We're getting tantalisingly close ladies and gentlemen

I raise you a toast, Ladies and Gentlemen...

There'll always be a Jenny... Wherever there's a Lind...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1