North London Line Steam Services - Jinty Tanks

Nearholmer

To be honest there isn't probably a great deal of information on them apart from the obvious sources. It's only mentioned in passing in most of the books I've had a look at over the last day or so. Unfortunately I don't have the line histories for the NLR. I'm mostly looking in books on LMS locomotives and working.

It was reasonably short lived. I believe it was the increased train weight and timings that did for them on the passenger services.

I'm surprised how many of the NLR carriages have survived though. 15 according to the VCT survey. Seems they were popular as grounded bodies.

Jason

• Thanks 1

On 5 March 2019 at 15:34, Nearholmer said:

Yes, I know Dennis, and have seen his book.

theres also a joint GNRS/NLRS book specifically about the services from Broad Street onto the GNR, by Alan Sibley and Jim Connor. I saw a copy on Saturday, and should have bought it!

Do you know the title of this book, please? My great-grandfather drove trains from Broad Street to Potter's Bar, so I'd be interested in acquiring a copy.

42 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Do you know the title of this book, please? My great-grandfather drove trains from Broad Street to Potter's Bar, so I'd be interested in acquiring a copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potters-Bar-Poplar-Dock-operations/dp/1912113694/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1551903372&sr=1-3&keywords=the+north+london+railway

Try this.

Bernard

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of my oldest and most-thumbed railway books, Brian Haresnape's Fowler Locomotives*, has a photo of LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0T on a Potters Bar train in the late 20s. The stock is a rake of six LMS standard 57 ft non-corridor carriages. I ought to dig out the relevant LMS Locomotive Profile but my recollection is that Devons Road had an allocation of sixty of these engines, replacing the entire ex-NLR fleet. I'm not sure if they all had screw-reverser.

Maybe the ones used for goods had lever reverse.

I thought Devons Road kept a few NLR 0-6-0T because they had a a shorter wheelbase, necessary in the docks.

Certainly when DR was dieselised, they had a special small class of chunky and powerful 0-4-0DS for that reason.

• Informative/Useful 1