Seasonal scale change..

There is a short video of 5 locks 24 (and converse)with 18 normal being tested here. one of the sliders can just be made out..

and more of a frame test here..

including a fault where 21 couldn't be pulled. This was traced to a notch needing to be eased in 19.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some good progress has been made over the last few weeks. We are ready to commission now. Thuxton old dies after the last train Sunday. Thuxton new will signal it's first train on Tuesday..

https://picasaweb.google.com/110176253976810273722/MidNorfolkRailway2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCP6zlKGn_r-mxwE&feat=directlink#

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/19593830749/

Edit to add.. 17 lever ground frame for sale after this as i probably can't squeeze it into my garden with all the other junk.

• 11 months later...

Thing's have been a bit slow because of illness but some progress has been made in the home project... My home made ground frame that will do the job of Soham has landed..

post-4034-0-38855700-1468008372_thumb.jpg

The uprights and quadrants are GN but i don't know where they are from. The levers are ex Magdalen road signalbox. The are Saxby Duplex levers cut down to suit fitted with catchblocks, downrods and ctatch handles from a Railway Signal Co frame. One Annetts lock will release a ground frame for a siding. The other locks in the point motor crank handle. removing this locks the up home and down starter. A Tyers GE one wire block will communicate with Chippenham Junction with key token to Ely Dock Junction.

Here's the block in action..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/27759117166/

One of the thing's that can happen is a train will stop at the intermediate siding serving King's scrapyard at Snailwell. This needs to be offered on with the bell code 2-2-3. Can anyone spot what is not right when 2-2-3 is sent?

Hopefully the first blood will course down it's veins by this evening. The GE block was moved over this morning. I'm extending the wooden trunking towards it but have stopped for lunch. The linewires for the block will be a bit of jumper wire until the cable arrives but all the internal wiring will be the proper stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the first blood will course down it's veins by this evening. The GE block was moved over this morning. I'm extending the wooden trunking towards it but have stopped for lunch. The linewires for the block will be a bit of jumper wire until the cable arrives but all the internal wiring will be the proper stuff.

So you're not putting up poles and open wires then? I am disappointed ;-(

Andy G

It will look like i am from indoors. Have found a bank of gas discharge lightning arresters. Chippenham side will need ...

1 Block line

2 Common Return

3 Cockspin barrier indication L1

4 Cockspin barrier indication L2

5 Fordham barrier indication L1

6 Fordham barrier indication L2

7 Cockspin barrier phone L1

8 Cockspin barrier phone L2

9 Fordham barrier phone L1

10 Fordham barrier phone L2

11 Ely - Bury omnibus L1

12 Ely - Bury omnibus L2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having seen this installation in the midst of, er, installation on Friday, I can only say how nicely all the work is being done. I'm particularly impressed with the wooden cable trunking, which is beautiful.

Puts the concreting that I have done today, to shame.... (but it does have a railway theme!)

Andy G

I'm particularly impressed with the wooden cable trunking.

Andy G

Starting to wonder if it's big enough. Got the points working this morning. Everything in the box is proper full size signalling stuff. The point motor is made by Fulgarex..

I do have quite a bit of the original equipment from Soham box but this really needs to be kept for Soham project 2, the real box. The box diagram is far too big for cramming in the available space..

post-4034-0-18783100-1469462657_thumb.jpg

so something smaller was required. Step in my good friend and partner in crime PwayOwen..

post-4034-0-58416200-1469463902_thumb.jpg

This style of diagram was produced at York in the seventies and eighties. There are some errors in this copy. Can anyone spot them? One is a missing track circuit but unless one studies signalling principles it's not obvious where it's missing.

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to stick my neck out here, and say that you need another track on the single line from the dock, covering from ED17 to Sohams first track ( B80 - 120). And the overlap track of 2, before the blue track from the points (This from just knowing how Littleports board is laid out....).

Question: does 5R go back as the train passes it, or does it stay off till 5 goes back?

Andy g

I'm going to stick my neck out here, and say that you need another track on the single line from the dock, covering from ED17 to Sohams first track ( B80 - 120). And the overlap track of 2, before the blue track from the points (This from just knowing how Littleports board is laid out....).

Question: does 5R go back as the train passes it, or does it stay off till 5 goes back?

Andy g

ED17 to B80 is covered by me reverting back to key token instead of TCB and direction lever. An overlap track for 2 is not really necessary as you can look out of the window and see anything run past it and 4 points should have been set correctly before the train was accepted. . 5 however is 763 yards from the box and round a corner. An overlap track is provided there. 5R is restored by B73 track.

5 and 5R signals now working...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/28650678651/

The points have indication locking. The key token has been removed from the instrument releasing 5 lever. Once pulled 5 signal clears and once proved to be off causes the distant to come off also. These colourlights are rather old and have shelf type filament proving relays that drop out briefly as the aspects change. This causes the filament alarm unit to ring briefly as the change occurs.

Edit to add.. Though the diagram gives no hint of it whatsoever trains didn't need to slow down here for the transition from single to double line. The points were the prototype for the Selby diversion. 125 mph points in a 70 mph line. They are still in use there today.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, LNERGE,

I was looking for signal lever frame drawings with a view to making a model of one and came across this thread which has been interesting to follow with some great pictures.  Do you know where I might be able to obtain copies of drawings such as that on post #13 of this thread of the LNER frame (and possibly the levers?).  The frame you were working on with flat sides looks slight easier to model, but the drawing gives some great detail if I can get better information on the lever fittings.  Thanks for posting this so far, it's been very informative.

Here's a detail drawing of a GCRly locking frame, I have others.

attachicon.gifGCRly Locking frame.jpg

I didn't at first acknowledge the similarities between the LNER and GCR drawing, but I'm guessing the LNER drawing is a development of it...?  I suppose I was looking for LNER drawing MD 265, but where would you get these from?  Is there anything in the NRM, because I can't work out which register it would come under.  Maybe the Signalling Record Society (...but seems more signal box diagrams)?

There's a bit on the GCR drawing which hasn't really shown up, I assume this is an alternative T-shaped part equivilent to part 3 on LNER drawing MG.119?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for posting this.  Have you got anything on the tappet?  (the bit mounted on the lever holding the t-shaped lock if you get my meaning, probably not the right terminology)

I see now, the first GCR drawing has a sliding block that latches (how does this block return, just with the handle?), whereas the other two drawings have a spring latch.   There are lots of similarities between these drawings but quite a few differences also!

Archived