NER/BR 'Gudgeon' 20 ton ballast wagon

Pillar

Does anyone know where I can find any further information on this wagon? So far all I've been able to find is a single photograph in David Larkin's 'BR Departmental Rolling Stock' (1979) and the BR diagram 1/569 on the Barrowmore mrg website.

I'd be interested to find out the background of this design and hopefully pull together enough details for a model. Unftortunately it seems to have been rather obscure.

Many thanks

Liam

• 3 years later...

I have a copy of the Larkin book the OP refers to and my curiosity has also now been stoked! The photo shows an NER all-wooden vehicle numbered 74613 and makes reference to a BR-built batch of fifty 'Gudgeons' which were numbered DB990000-49, which immediately preceded the fifty 'Pilchard' bogie wagons (DB990050-99) with which we are now familiar thanks to the Oxford Rail model, of which I have just acquired an example which has partly prompted this further enquiry.

So there were fifty built of each type - photos of 'Pilchards' exist so one would have expected one of two photos of 'Gudgeons' to exist too - but four years on nothing appears to have come to light. This makes me wonder whether the BR-built 'Gudgeons' suffered a design flaw serious enough to write them all off at an early stage......