The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

Tigerburnie -

You mention your Rugby club (presumably your first team) played the second team of Moseley.  Who were you playing for - a west midlands club?  Our first team - Dixonians - played Moseley first, our second their third, and our third their "development" team.  The Moseley captain was on old-timer and the rest were very young and good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I think it’s far too soon to be talking about scrapping the Blitz defence, look at how long it took SA to perfect it before it really started delivering results.

England just need to get rid of the lapses of concentration which seem to always result in an opposition try.   Those two mistakes today (particularly that no armed tackle at the end) were inexcusable.  (As were many of the stupid errors in the Scotland game that England really should have won).     

The same can be said for the Italy game. England conceded two soft tries in quick succession through repeating a similar error, and gave away a try at the last by a schoolboy error - not killing the ball, as France demonstrated yesterday.

8 hours ago, 4901 said:

Tigerburnie -

You mention your Rugby club (presumably your first team) played the second team of Moseley.  Who were you playing for - a west midlands club?  Our first team - Dixonians - played Moseley first, our second their third, and our third their "development" team.  The Moseley captain was on old-timer and the rest were very young and good.

My old club is now called Leicester Lions who are fighting for survival in Nat 1 having played Moseley twice and lost both of them this season. Leicester Lions was formed when Westleigh and Wigston joined in 1998 to form the Lions. I played for Wigston in the 1970's, I think we played against Dixonians as well, name rings a bell, though it could have been a "pool" match, where if you remember, clubs/teams without a fixture went into the pool and names were put together for a match. If memory serves me right Moseley's 2nds were called "United" in those days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

My old club is now called Leicester Lions who are fighting for survival in Nat 1 having played Moseley twice and lost both of them this season. Leicester Lions was formed when Westleigh and Wigston joined in 1998 to form the Lions. I played for Wigston in the 1970's, I think we played against Dixonians as well, name rings a bell, though it could have been a "pool" match, where if you remember, clubs/teams without a fixture went into the pool and names were put together for a match. If memory serves me right Moseley's 2nds were called "United" in those days.

I certainly played Dixonians when I played for Tamworth RFC in the early 90s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I see  Finn Russell is out for the rest of the season,  Thats Bath's season over I suspect, just as I was starting to believe.....

Check whether Stuart Barnes is available.

• Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’ve watched a few of their games recently and there’s been some good rugby on show.

Dave

I fully agree and they could teach the men’s team a thing or two.

Whilst watching Saturdays game I began to wonder how the Red Roses would fare against the men’s team; I know that they would lose out in a scrum, and the men would have a definite advantage in tackles but, H&S issues aside, the women’s team have a few ‘sturdy’ players that I would be fearful of in close combat.

• Like 1

Last day of the season in National league 1, my old club Leicester Lions need to win tomorrow at Sale FC or they could be relegated. Tough old league with some famous old clubs, Blackheath, Moseley, Richmond to name just a few. I've been watching the games on youtube, pretty good standard, certainly higher than when I was playing for sure.

• Like 2

Well my old club pulled off a fine win in the last game of the season to win and remain in National league 1 next season, the less said about the neighbours 5 miles up the road who managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Bristol.

• Like 2