RMweb

CHinchilla dust ? Used it successfully?

I am at a bit of a loss of how to secure CHinchilla dust to surfaces! My Experiance is that when you come to paint such a treatyed surface the CHinchilla dust just comes away with the brush. To be honest it is not securing too well to my MDF boards even before this. Have you useD  this for unmetaled roads and yards. If so please tell!  Thanks!  

Len

Yep I use it amongst other materials to construct roads.

I either sprinkle it on a thin layer of PVA before giving it a spray of matt varnish once dry, or use ultra thin superglue which spreads rapidly and is quicker than the first method 

• Informative/Useful 1

Deluxe materials do a ballast glue that I have used successfully with chinchilla dust or PVA watered down with a drop of washing up liquid to destroy the surface tension(No bubbles).

Don't use that rubbery glue who's name I cannot remember.

Gordon A

• Informative/Useful 1

I would drop it onto a coat of neat PVA and then mist it with water/meths and then apply a 40/50/10% PVA/Water/Meths mix in a similar way to laying ballast, the hole lot should go off solid so you can then paint or apply weathering powders

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

When I use chinchilla dust I sprinkle it onto wet gloss paint (Humbrol enamel gloss). The dust is absorbent so the colour of the paint sets the colour of the finished road or whatever. I did try pva but I ended up with a messy gunge. The paint needs to stay wet long enough to form a bond. Hope this helps.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Put down a layer of dust where you want it, then mist it with water and a drop of washing up liquid - use a small spray like a throat spray - until the surface is moist. Then drip  dilute white glue onto the wet surface, letting the glue find its own way across the moist dust. While it Is all still moist, you can add more dust. You can tint it by using water based paint when you dilute the white glue or you can use acrylics on the surface when it has dried.

As far as possible,  I try to use water based materials as I find them easiest to handle and less smelly around the house. 

Hope this helps

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Captainalbino said:

This is bare Chinchilla Dust affixed with diluted PVA

... and for comparison, here is bare chinchilla dust affixed with paint. Gloss grey paint on the walls and gloss black paint on the roof:

DSCF6869.jpg.5aa1c3e9145289ff87ef9f7f1cf656aa.jpg

So I reckon, paint for building finishes, pva for unmade roads.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1