Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Looking for NSE coach rosters

LU_fan

Is there anywhere I could find information about what coaches were in NSE possession and what livery they wore during 1988-1990?

I just placed an order for some Railtec NSE transfers and I'm wondering which Mk1 and Mk2A numbers fit my timeframe. And of course which numbers belong on what type of coach. Wouldn't for example want to wind up with a BSO number on an RMB.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Depends which route you are talking about, Padd - Oxford, Waterloo - Exeter, Cross - Cambridge etc.

RMB was only Cambridge I believe and would be 1xxx

Firsts were in the range 3xxx up to 3439, then declassified first 36xx

Seconds started at 3738 well into 5xxx

Composites 7xxx

Brake seconds 9xxx

Corridor firsts 13xxx

First brakes 17xxx

Corridor seconds 18xxx, 19xxx and 24xxx

Brake seconds 34xxx and 35xxx

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:32, LU_fan said:

Is there anywhere I could find information about what coaches were in NSE possession and what livery they wore during 1988-1990?

Best bet would be to get the Platform 5 Locomotives & Coaching Stock pocket book for 1990 and 1991. Several on ebay at the moment.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Seeing this has prompted me to create a new page on the Railtec site, where ~25 years' worth of sightings from the Railtec team spanning 1983-2007 has been published. It's not pretty and it may need a little deciphering in parts, but it may provide a reasonable indication of what typical stock formations there were as well as typical loco whereabouts through the eras. Being based in Manchester with sporadic jollies around the isle, NSE rosters are thin on the ground but hopefully of some use to someone.

http://www.railtec-models.com/archive.php

Happy spotting!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/03/2019 at 21:32, LU_fan said:

I just placed an order for some Railtec NSE transfers and I'm wondering which Mk1 and Mk2A numbers fit my timeframe. And of course which numbers belong on what type of coach. Wouldn't for example want to wind up with a BSO number on an RMB.

This thread may help?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49528-mk2-coaches-numbering-and-working-patterns/

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/03/2019 at 23:13, LU_fan said:

I don't really have a specific route in mind, but as I'm running Class 50's Paddington-Oxford and Waterloo-Exeter might be the most appropriate ones.

They would have different stock for the different routes and unlikely you would see them together 

15 hours ago, ess1uk said:

It may indeed. Following it, and will look through it later.

6 hours ago, Shed said:

They would have different stock for the different routes and unlikely you would see them together 

Well, I have seen pictures of trains with a mix of Mk1's and Mk2's, so they were seen together occasionally. As for the routes, they're simply used for inspirational purposes and gathering information.

• Like 2

That does help indeed! I've already purchased three Platform 5 books, but wasn't quite sure how to tell what livery a coach wore from all the text.

I would prefer to run out of the box models, and indeed that's what I've got so far. The biggest "conversion" I've done was to change the couplers and wheels on a Lima Mk2 TSO micro buffet. I do intend on changing the windows too. But no major rebuilds.

Thank you very much for your input, Paul. ^_^

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the P5 books, the first bold letter after the coach number is the livery code - the key to codes will be on the inside front or back cover.

(Coaches are assumed to be standard blue/grey unless indicated otherwise). Then follows the sector pool code, a letter for detail differences if needed and finally the allocated depot code.

e.g. mk2a corridor first (FK): 13436 N NWRX v OM 

The coach has NSE livery, is in the NSE - Western Region pool, vacuum brakes (some have air brakes) and is allocated to Old Oak Common CARMD (carriage maintenance depot)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefer said:

In the P5 books, the first bold letter after the coach number is the livery code - the key to codes will be on the inside front or back cover.

(Coaches are assumed to be standard blue/grey unless indicated otherwise). Then follows the sector pool code, a letter for detail differences if needed and finally the allocated depot code.

e.g. mk2a corridor first (FK): 13436 N NWRX v OM 

The coach has NSE livery, is in the NSE - Western Region pool, vacuum brakes (some have air brakes) and is allocated to Old Oak Common CARMD (carriage maintenance depot)

Thank you very much for your help!

2 hours ago, bigP said:

No problem,

If the P5 book doesn't have a livery code next to it then it will be in standard BR Blue & Grey livery, although by 1988 if it's in a NSE pool (ie NWRx or NSSx) then it will have had the NSE branding applied,

like these...  https://www.hattons.co.uk/182187/Bachmann_Branchline_39_003_Pack_of_two_Mk1_coaches_in_BR_blue_grey_with_Network_SouthEast_branding_and_pas/StockDetail.aspx

Certainly you can easily do a NWRx mk1 set using Bachmann items.  Might have to do a bit of 2nd Hand/eBay hunting though.

mk1 SK  https://www.hattons.co.uk/10314/Bachmann_Branchline_39_031_BR_Mk1_SK_2nd_corridor_in_Network_South_East_livery/StockDetail.aspx

mk2a BFK  https://railsofsheffield.com/products/27709/Bachmann-39-412a-oo-gauge-br-mk2a-bfk-brake-first-corridor-network-southeast

(although that BFK is air braked so you'd have to do a bit of underframe modelling)

Paul

Yeah, I was kinda prepared for a little eBay hunting.

Is there a big difference in underbody details, or just some minor bits and pieces?

• RMweb Premium

I think if you watch the video on a full browser at youtube.com, there should be a setting which allows you to slow down the playback e.g. half or quarter speed. (Click on the video, then on the settings 'gear wheel')

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, keefer said:

I think if you watch the video on a full browser at youtube.com, there should be a setting which allows you to slow down the playback e.g. half or quarter speed. (Click on the video, then on the settings 'gear wheel')

I will give that a go myself 

14 hours ago, lyneux said:

Why not just do some contemporary 'spotting' by watching videos from the period. I found this one to be particularly good for the NSE formations for trains out of Paddington...

Guy

I have actually seen that one, and a few others, but quite a few of the ones I've seen don't show the full trains. Sometimes they cut after the first one or two coaches.

13 hours ago, bigP said:

Not really on those 2a BFK.

If the model is of an air braked coach then remove the brake supply reservoir and add vacuum cylinders would be the most obvious visible thing to distinguish it as air or vac braked.  Obviously all the coaches need to be running on the same type of braking system. There are plenty of threads about this sort of thing and plenty of aftermarket details available.

If you want to get really detailed you can start detailing the underframes to be 100% specific, but for that you'll need to do a lot of research.

That's a nice vid of trains at Acton, and shows quite nicely the wide variation that crept into Thames formations once the stock from Euston and Cambridge (Liv St services) were transferred to Old Oak.

The first train on the up Main there looks to be a Scottish Push Pull 47, and it's got a mk2 BSO from Cambridge (in the later Dark Blue) and a mk1 CK from Euston (in the faded first blue) in the train.

Also shows how the mk1 and mk2 TSO stock got jumbled about within formations and not kept to separate formations.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Might look into that.

I've heard of the ScotRail 47/7, and seen quite a few pics of it actually. Don't know if I've seen that video though.

11 hours ago, griffgriff said:

I think that might be optimistic. The quality of 1990s video capture wasn’t that great. I know.... I’ve tried. All I saw were blurry blue rectangles where the numbers should have been.

True, it's not possible to work out numbers but it's easy to spot the coach type to work out a general pattern (especially if you slow it down as indicated). The video I linked shows at least 4 full rakes.

As a general pattern a mix of Mk1 and Mk2:

Three to four SO/SK + a couple of either BSK, BFK, FK, FO + another three to five SO/SK.

Guy

• Like 2