Thompson BZ 6 wheel brake van

• 3 months later...

I'm grdaually finding my way to finishing my BZ kit after 3 years...what put me off was the small cast bits that attach to the solebar and need a hole drilled through them to go on a pin that drops down from the end of the spring. There's 12 of them to do. Is there an easy way of doing them or should I have fitted them before assembling the rest of the chassis?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roy

When I designed the BZ chassis, because the springs are behind the W irons, I couldn't use the usual one piece casting. I had to use the castings from Wizard models and as you say you need to drill a hole in each one. It's not difficult but you need to take your time. In a worst case, if you mess it up, you can always buy more from Andrew at Wizard but as I have said, it's not difficult. I assume you have a pin chuck, which is all you need along with a 0.5mm drill. File the bottom of the castings flat before you start so that the drill won't slip off the centre point. You can easily hold the casting in your fingers to drill it. Just drill a small amount at a time and keep removing the drill to clear the whitemetal from the flutes to prevent the drill sticking or jamming.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes I done that with 3 I think so far! One has been eaten by the carpet beast, never to be seen again, andother the drill went off centre, and I've got several 0,5 holes on my fingers! Maybe I should have put them on the chassis sides before I done the rest of the kit, it's difficult getting the soldering iron in there. Not to worry, I'll get there eventually.

Meanwhile the remnants of my Kings Cross wooden kit has gone in the bin!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Yes I done that with 3 I think so far! One has been eaten by the carpet beast, never to be seen again, andother the drill went off centre, and I've got several 0,5 holes on my fingers! Maybe I should have put them on the chassis sides before I done the rest of the kit, it's difficult getting the soldering iron in there. Not to worry, I'll get there eventually.

Meanwhile the remnants of my Kings Cross wooden kit has gone in the bin!

Don’t try to solder the pieces in place, just use Evo Stik impact adhesive. The parts are so thin that you will probably just melt them if you try to solder them. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

What did you do with the CD-ROM? It's years since players have been installed in PCs, and never on tablets.

Very nice modelling, the Cleminson suspension is nicely done. I wonder why the prototype had these, apparently many years after used on new build stock.  

Paul

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

What did you do with the CD-ROM? It's years since players have been installed in PCs, and never on tablets.

Very nice modelling, the Cleminson suspension is nicely done. I wonder why the prototype had these, apparently many years after used on new build stock.  

Paul

Hi Paul,

Reading the CD-ROM wasn't an issue, I have had mac desktops for about 10 years and with the first one I bought, I 'invested' in a USB SuperDrive, so copied the disc contents to the hard disk. The CD drive has seen little use in all those years - the last three uses have been to copy this CD and the two for the Siphon G's. It probably hasn't been used a dozen times in all the time I've had it!

Thank you for the kind comment, re modelling.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to Iain for not mentioning the following on completing my build.

The Guard's door opens inwards so there shouldn't be any hinges visible for it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Flood said:

Sorry to Iain for not mentioning the following on completing my build.

The Guard's door opens inwards so there shouldn't be any hinges visible for it.

Hey, thanks, but no problem - I should have seen it myself, I have enough pictures of real ones! It's a case of looking but not seeing. I also forgot to add the door handles to the other set of doors, on both sides, when I photographed it. I've since added them.

Kind regards,

Iain