Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gaugemaster Model W Wiring

Tony Davis

Bit confused by what Gaugemaste deem to be the "Plug viewed from the rear", so, when wiring a din socket, looking at the terminal connections, (as in the attached photo) and following Gaugemaster's wiring colour recommendations, should the pins from the left in the photo be blue, yellow, spare, black, red, or vice versa?

Thanks

Tony

din socket.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Viewed from the rear, would to my mind, (such as it is), refer to how you would look at it to solder. So that would be as you describe. 

At worst, you have a 50% chance of getting it wrong!

• Thanks 1

Do Gaugemaster tell you the pin numbers? They are usually moulded into the plastic beside the pins. If you think the numbering strange it's because these were originally audio systems,  1 Earth 2 Signal in 3 Signal out. Then when stereo arrived two more pins were needed so to keep them compatible the numbering became 1,4,2,5,3. 

I emailed gaugemaster who told me that the what they meant by the rear of the socket was what I thought. I duly wired the socket and connected to 16v output and to the track as instructed. I got a red light on the controller but no output to the track. I then pulled the plug cover back to have a look at the lead colours inside. (see photo), now, not sure if it is clear in the photo, but it differs from those described which, from left to right are blue, yellow, spare, black, red, whereas on the plug I have they are Yellow, Red, spare, Black, blue.

I am now wondering whether I should re-wire the din socket to reflect the colours actually in the plug ( I realise that it is the connections that the wires go to that matters, not the colours, but I am sure you understand what I am getting at), or if the unit is faulty ( I bought it from a "well known auction site".

As stated in a previous post, I am worried that if I wire incorrectly that it will damage the unit?

Thoughts please

walkabout pin out.jpg

gmplug.jpg

I can't make out all the connections in the plug photo, but it looks confused?

eg. Red where black should be in the diagram & yellow where red should be?

Lift the insert out of the shell and work from the "notch", comparing that to the sideways oriented notch in the diagram.

If Gaguemaster have standard colours, I'd guess someone has rewired or changed the plug for some reason.

Edited by RobjUK
  • Informative/Useful 1