Station In Progress

Here is some work in progress. I am constructing a new station building for my terminus. I have just the gents toilet to finish and then I can fix it all together and add the final details ie signs and posters etc. Then I need to design the platform for it to be placed on. Here are some pics showing progress so far.

Trackside:

DSCN1006med.jpg

Roadside:

DSCN1008med.jpg

DSCN1009med.jpg

DSCN1010med.jpg

DSCN1012med.jpg

The only problem I had was with the wrong choice of acetate for the window and door layer in the middle building. I used a clear sheet from the packaging window from other card kits but it was too thin so that after a day the open doors curled up:( I wasn't happy but I can live with the problem until I find some more suitable doors that I can use as replacements. I later found some thicker acetate in a card craft shop which works much better on the remaining buildings.

Cheers

John Geeeeee

Looking good

one good thing with these kits is if you make a mistake or something goes wrong like your doors you can easily print extra ones to replace them.

I copied cut and paste the parts i need extra of, instead of printing a whole sheet.

Keep up the good work

terry

Looking good

one good thing with these kits is if you make a mistake or something goes wrong like your doors you can easily print extra ones to replace them.

I copied cut and paste the parts i need extra of, instead of printing a whole sheet.

Keep up the good work

terry

Thanks for posting this particular model, Terry, I'm about to build one myself, so that has given me a better idea of how it will come out. Nice stuff.

Doug

Hello John,

Nice job. All straight, square, clean edges, and so on. Minor niggle: that canopy on the back (I think it is) of the middle. What happened to the corners, where they appear to bending upwards? Was it a problem with the glazing layer inside? If that isn't the side that will be normally directly viewable on the layout, then probably no problem. It's just that it leapt out at me and is in strong contrast to the rest of your build quality.

I hope you won't take the above question the wrong way. I'm hard and critical of my own efforts, so feel I have a little latitude to be honest with other people. As an aside, in the magazines, I've often seen gross lapses or damage written off as "the prototype isn't perfect", but IMHO it's very difficult to do 'not perfect' convincingly, so I think we get better 'believability' by trying to do it right.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks for the comments guys.

Tony, Yes the canopy seems to have distorted slightly during the 4 weeks since it was put together. Because it is consists of about four layers of material I find it difficult to get the edges looking perfect. The top layer overlaps the others and gives a slight raised front edge because of the paper thickness. I think the curling is also due to the acetate used which seemed to react badly to the paper layer being glued to it using PVA. I think it can be ironed out , so-to-speak , with some fine touches of glue and a bit of pressure. As I said , it is a work in progress and not finished yet but I thought it was at the stage where it is worth showing in case someone else is considering building it.

Cheers

John Geeeee

Great build John, many thanks for posting these images. Clear acetate can be a bit fickle when glued to card and paper, I always try to sit a book or something over the glazing as its drying otherwise it can curl.

If you do want to go down the road, a more rigid clear sheet will fix the issue. I always rip out the nice thick clear windows from packaging (toys etc.) they are great for these sort of jobs. Another fairly cheap option that seems to quite popular are CD cases.

FYI I forgot to mention it in the instructions but I also designed my station kit doorways to fit Chivers Finelines door pack (CPF3). Really lovely door set, see attached image.

post-8868-127258626312.jpg

Hello John (Gee, and also Whiffen),

Re the canopy: it's going to be very useful to know there's an issue to watch out for with the canopy glazing. I just hope I remember when I get around to building the thing!

I might consider only having the panes slightly larger than the apertures and set them within a card sheet of similar thickness. If their size is minimised, the hope would be that the amount of bending and the forces involved might be minimised.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for posting this particular model, Terry, I'm about to build one myself, so that has given me a better idea of how it will come out. Nice stuff.

Doug

Hi Doug

As much as would like,Johns the one,thats credits due lol.

I have still to make a station building but this kit will is in the running to be a contender .It does look good doesnt it

Terry

Hi Doug

As much as would like,Johns the one,thats credits due lol.

I have still to make a station building but this kit will is in the running to be a contender .It does look good doesnt it

Terry

I do apologise!

I second the idea of using CD case material wherever possible, especially if you can span more than one window at a time. It makes gluing glazing bars etc or fixing to card very simple because when placed in position, all that is needed is a little MEK applied with a fine paintbrush. It flows over the plastic, dissolves it slightly and bonds the card/paper overlay securely. It was the only practical way of securing these window bars without getting glue everywhere. It dries very quickly to leave the plastic transparent and ready to weather, with a bit of watercolour in this case to look like dirt and rust. Hope this suggestion helps.

Doug

post-106-127265000369.jpg

Hi All,

Here are some more pics of the near complete station. the sections are now all glued together and various signs added. I found some plastic doors at the Liverpool Show this weekend so they are now added. I have a couple more big posters to add to teh end walls and then its onto the platform to accomodate it.

DSCN1050med.jpg

DSCN1052med.jpg

DSCN1055med.jpg

Cheers

John Geeee

• 1 month later...

Here are some more pics of the station rebuild. Some of these are already in my Layout Blog, but for those that don't read the Blogs here they are added to this thread.

I have made the first platform from the Scalescenes platform download. The pics show the construction of the base structure and then with the platform top added. The station building has not been fixed down yet so there are a few gaps under the building edges. I may add some more supports underneath the platforms at these points.

P6023296med.jpg

P6033304med.jpg

P6033305med.jpg

P6033306med.jpg

Next I have to make the other platform and then add some fencing etc.

Cheers

John Geeee

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting this - I was on the point of buying one of these , plus the bigger overall roof, printed out the texture sheet only to discover that my printer had stopped printing yellow! It will have to wait until I get that sorted now - however I think that John is to congratulated for the Scalescenes stuff. Really innovative and well thought out structures.

• 1 month later...

Heres an update showing the second scalescenes platform. I have weathered both platform tops using an airbrush and weathering powders. Fencing and adverts have also been added to the second platform.

P8143786med.jpg

P8143783med.jpg

P8143787med.jpg

Cheers

John Geeeeee

Archived