Midland 3F flush rivetting.

I have just purchased Messrs Hunt, Essery and James's excellent book on the Midland 3Fs. It has answered many of my questions but raised at least one.

There is a photograph of no 3502 showing a flush rivetted smokebox describing this as one of the characteristics of the early rebuilds. Does anybody have any more information / pictures of this? For example which other locos had flush rivetted smokeboxes and did it extend to the smokebox support structure . I'm looking to model a 3F in 1950s in EM and this would make an interesting, (not to mention easier to construct) variation.  

Thanks in anticipation.

Many classes of locos had flush riveted smokeboxes, tanks, tenders, etc. until the railway companies decided to cut costs and use the snap head rivets which didn't require a countersunk hole to be drilled first.  When smokeboxes were replaced they would have got the snap head type.

• Agree 2

I would have thought that the 1950s survivors would almost certainly all have pronounced rivets.

Even this fine example of an early LMS liveried 3F has smokebox rivets. I would think that was typical condition by Grouping.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LONDON-MIDLAND-SCOTTISH-RAILWAY/LONDON-MIDLAND-SCOTTISH-RAILWAY/i-ZVRBtcC

Jason