Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Private Owner Wagons

• RMweb Premium

Some companies were still buying wagons during the Second World War in the hope that it would be a good investment; the government definitely didn't own the wagons. I suggest changing the reference to "acquiring" to "controlling"

I appreciate that you are trying to simplify a very complicated story, but it still needs to be accurate. There are far too many "historical railway facts" around which are not facts at all, and once they are promulgated it is very difficult to get things back on track.

Jonathan

Thanks for the input.  The main objection is to the use of "acquire".  I worked as an investment analyst and we ensured that business cases recommended that equipment be acquired.  This meant that a decision on purchase, rent or lease could be made, without having to resubmit the business case.

However I will change my wording.

Now for the translation!

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill.  A very clear and concise account of a difficult subject for people from another country and culture. Just a few points.

1.Bill Hudsons books actually ran to 5 volumes. Not is in a different size and format with a soft cover. It is well worth reading. 

2. Some of the smaller builders served specific markets. Bradman's of Keighley built most of the wagons for the Dale's quarries.. many of these were 5 plank to suit the loading facilities. They were almost unique in carrying lime products outbound and coal inbound so that the quarry owners were often the local coal merchants.

3. POWsides are very good but beware. I did the artwork for several Yorkshire Dale's quarry wagons and used a Slaters 5 pla k Midland wagon as my starting point as no one does a 5 plank Beadman wagon.

Good luck with the translation.

Jamie (a long long way away at the moment.)

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2019 at 18:06, asmay2002 said:

Simply. No.  There were other major players like Hurst, Nelson, R Y Pickering and Maclellan in Scotland,  Cambrian Wagon Co in Wales, and Metropolitan RCWCo etc. in England.

... but, thanks to Slaters and Cambrian, Gloucester and Charles Roberts dominate the 4 mm/ft scale PO wagon market!