RMweb

Peco advertisement in April 2019 Railway Modeller

• RMweb Gold

In the April 2019 Railway Modeller (flip back a page from the Editorial on page 265), there's an advertisement for Peco's Bullhead track.

I'm rather taken with the picture of a BR Standard tank running round its train and of the station building - does anyone know if it's a diorama to advertise the track, or an actual layout, that maybe features on RMweb?

Edit:  Just had an idea - I'll send an email to Craig Tiley at Peco, as he took the photograph!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dan Randall said:

In the April 2019 Railway Modeller (flip back a page from the Editorial on page 265), there's an advertisement for Peco's Bullhead track.

I'm rather taken with the picture of a BR Standard tank running round its train and of the station building - does anyone know if it's a diorama to advertise the track, or an actual layout, that maybe features on RMweb?

Regards

Dan

No idea, as my copy will be a couple of months away. But if its an 'in house' photo, could it be a Pecorama layout?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

No idea, as my copy will be a couple of months away. But if its an 'in house' photo, could it be a Pecorama layout?

Hi Kevin

I did take look at the Pecorama web site, but if the layout was featured there, I must have missed it.

Regards

Dan

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Is it not the layout RM built around the time the points were released as part of a "Shows You How" piece ?

Hi Wheatley

I only buy RM when there's some content of interest to me (in this particular issue, "Arun Quay" and "Hebble Vale Goods").  I don't recall seeing the Peco layout (or diorama), in any of the previous issues I've bought.  If it does appear in an earlier issue, I'd certainly try to obtain a back number, once I know which issue it is.

Regards

Dan

• RMweb Gold

There was, I seem to recall, a series of three articles over successive issues about using the new Bullhead track and large radius points. A small station layout was created using them (and other PECO products, of course!)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I emailed Craig Tiley this morning before setting off for work and received a very comprehensive response soon after.  In case any others are interested in the content of the advertisement, Craig has kindly allowed me to share his response here....

"Dan

Thank you for your email. 

In short, you’ve rumbled me! I am indeed the builder of the model illustrated in the Peco advert, but the layout doesn’t actually exist, or at least not as a ‘finished’ layout as the picture suggests. 

The scenic module was created primarily as a vehicle for showing how to use the bullhead track; it formed the basis of a three-part track laying feature in the May, June and July 2018 issues. There was also a feature about timber-faced platform construction in the November 2018 issue, which also used the same module. In the picture used for the advert, the track work was all completed, but the station building, hedgerows, trees and hills were all placed temporarily for the photo; the point of view of the camera and the coach on the left and side were carefully positioned to disguise that the model was very incomplete!

The track plan I used as the basis of the model was actually inspired by Llanastr, which featured in issue No.4 of Model Railway Journal. The scenic board measure just 42” x 15” and the other end of the station-run-round will be served by an off-scene sector plate fiddle yard. (The fiddle yard doesn’t exist either, yet!). It is my intention to complete the layout over time, using the construction as the basis of further articles in RM, as and when required. 

The station building is based on the one that existed at Longwitton; it was scratch built by former Peco modelmaker Bob Phelps; its construction was described in the April 2014 issue of RM. 

I hope this answers your questions, and points you towards the relevant articles if you wish to find out more. I hope you aren’t too disappointed by the the ’smoke and mirrors’ reality of the layout! 

Kind regards

Craig Tiley"

Many thanks to Craig Tiley for his rapid and informative response and to Kevin, Wheatley and John for their input.

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, JohnR said:

There was, I seem to recall, a series of three articles over successive issues about using the new Bullhead track and large radius points. A small station layout was created using them (and other PECO products, of course!)

You're not wrong John - see my previous post.  Many thanks for your reply.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dan Randall said:

I emailed Craig Tiley this morning before setting off for work and received a very comprehensive response soon after.  In case any others are interested in the content of the advertisement, Craig has kindly allowed me to share his response here....

"Dan

Thank you for your email. 

In short, you’ve rumbled me! I am indeed the builder of the model illustrated in the Peco advert, but the layout doesn’t actually exist, or at least not as a ‘finished’ layout as the picture suggests. 

The scenic module was created primarily as a vehicle for showing how to use the bullhead track; it formed the basis of a three-part track laying feature in the May, June and July 2018 issues. There was also a feature about timber-faced platform construction in the November 2018 issue, which also used the same module. In the picture used for the advert, the track work was all completed, but the station building, hedgerows, trees and hills were all placed temporarily for the photo; the point of view of the camera and the coach on the left and side were carefully positioned to disguise that the model was very incomplete!

The track plan I used as the basis of the model was actually inspired by Llanastr, which featured in issue No.4 of Model Railway Journal. The scenic board measure just 42” x 15” and the other end of the station-run-round will be served by an off-scene sector plate fiddle yard. (The fiddle yard doesn’t exist either, yet!). It is my intention to complete the layout over time, using the construction as the basis of further articles in RM, as and when required. 

The station building is based on the one that existed at Longwitton; it was scratch built by former Peco modelmaker Bob Phelps; its construction was described in the April 2014 issue of RM. 

I hope this answers your questions, and points you towards the relevant articles if you wish to find out more. I hope you aren’t too disappointed by the the ’smoke and mirrors’ reality of the layout! 

Kind regards

Craig Tiley"

Many thanks to Craig Tiley for his rapid and informative response and to Kevin, Wheatley and John for their input.

Regards

Dan

Fantastic reply from Craig.

Not much different from some of the in house articles from Model Rail then!

• Like 1