doctored Skaledale.

Doctored Scaledale in a diorama 4mm scale.

005-1.jpg

Hello GT

This is a tantalising glimpse. May I ask for more pictures?

I have tried cutting (hacksaw) Skaledale items, but the resin is hard and dense, and the dust requires a face mask for personal safety. Even so, I reckon the opportunities are worth the effort.

PB

Hi Mick,

No i didn't make the bus and it's not mine it was borrowed i'm not sure what the make was but i do know they are very popular with 4mm modellers.

Hi peter,

the cameo scene was part of a layout i constructed for someone in there loft space, bog standard oo but he didn't want scratchbuilt buildings so we opted for the Skaledale buildings and doctored them to our needs,its not state of the srt modelling but you may find it interesting, here a few more photos, unfortunatley these are the only photos that i took.

004-1.jpg

strat172-1.jpg

strat174-1.jpg

045-2-1-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

048-1.jpg

GT

Many thanks for the pictures; I have downloaded a couple for inspiration with my current r-t-r/r-t-p project.

As regards the buses, I believe that the double decker is an EFE model, possibly catalogue number 27810, of the London Transport STL in Country livery, about right for era3/4.

The single decker looks like an EFE AEC Regal 10T10, but I do not know the catalogue number offhand.

The surfers' friend (Google) will respond to a search for EFE!

Hth

PB

I have tried cutting (hacksaw) Skaledale items, but the resin is hard and dense

Just how difficult is it....I have some station buildings to reduce in depth to abou 3/4 of original, only the front and sides and roof will be seen by casual visitors, and I don't mind making up a new rear section.

Malcolm

Very nice, Gravy Train. Maybe you should call it "Doktored Scaledale"!! No? Sorry. wink.gif

The double-decker bus looks to me like the Corgi OOC post-war STL (AEC Regent II with Weymann body). They have issued this a couple of times with minor livery variations, with the later issue also being equipped with rear-view mirrors.

The single-decker is an EFE Green Line 10T10, with what appear to be pre-war roof boards.

I agree with you regarding the difficulty of hacking the resin; I did some Scenix (Pocketbond) shops and that was quite a job, with resin dust going everywhere and several slitting discs biting the dust in pieces.

Very nice, Gravy Train. Maybe you should call it "Doktored Scaledale"!! No? Sorry. wink.gif

The double-decker bus looks to me like the Corgi OOC post-war STL (AEC Regent II with Weymann body). They have issued this a couple of times with minor livery variations, with the later issue also being equipped with rear-view mirrors.

The single-decker is an EFE Green Line 10T10, with what appear to be pre-war roof boards.

I agree with you regarding the difficulty of hacking the resin; I did some Scenix (Pocketbond) shops and that was quite a job, with resin dust going everywhere and several slitting discs biting the dust in pieces.

Hello SRman

I am sure that you are right with regard to the double decker. The EFE model (although with similar advertising) has a front roofbox, the OOC (catalogue number 40403) does not.

The EFE zone and OOC zone websites have extensive and very clear photos.

PB

GT,

I think you are being a bit rough on the individual with the comment "bog standard oo but he didn't want scratchbuilt buildings" I too am lacking time to build things and the use of RTP building straight from the box is great for getting something done quickly. What you have done with the building straight from the box is a legitimate form of modeling. I have found the biggest problem with the buildings is the patience to collect them from different years otherwise they can look like some one went through the catalogue and ticked "send all".

My layout is based on the idea of using OO RTR rolling stock, buildings etc. The trick as I think that you have found is to use them in an interesting realistic way. You have achieved this. I am still working on it :huh: It will happen though.

As already said, the decker is an AEC Regent II with Weymann body. I'm pretty sure it was produced to London Transport spec originally for country services in green livery. It has been released in various liveries since. If only this model company would produce the 4-bay Weymann body for the rest of the country!

Doug N,

nothing wrong with code 100 rail be it bog standard or not, i have seen excellent looking finescale layouts run terrible and coarse scale layouts run superbly, at the end of the day its what the individual wants from his/her hobby so long as he/she enjoys it.

thankyou for the kind comments.

interedsting comments regards to the busses.

Hi Coach. The batch of Regent IIs were anything but LT spec. They were essentially provincial buses bought in a hurry to satisfy an urgent need for serviceable buses. They even had crash gearboxes at a time when LT had standardised on the pre-selector. Needless to say, LT didn't keep them for long; once the RT deliveries were in full swing the STLs were sold on to other operators. Corgi did actually release the same bus in Grimsby's livery, as it appeared post-LT (and I mean it was a model of the same bus they first released!).

All of the buildings in this shot The Great British Train Show are modified Scaledale. It is our layout (Bridge Street), but I can't take credit for the scenery or the photograph.

Adrian

(as I understand it, there shouldn't be any copyright issues linking to a publicly-available Flickr image)

I can't help much about the dust going everywhere - except to suggest doing it in the garden and wear old clothes - but I managed to cut back some Skaledale buildings using a fine saw blade on my electric jigsaw (the same saw I use to cut wood for baseboards!). If you aren't wanting too 'precise' a cut, and happy to file back to a straight edge, it worked perfectly.

Usual disclaimer about various health and safety precautions (goggles etc) and no responsibility for any ruined buildings etc etc.

Hi there,

I thought it may be worth mentioning that i didn't cut into in any way at the buildings but i added bits to them and of course changed the colouring somewhat and added some weathering to tone them down.

The flagstones were made up from scribed platicard and the gas lamps, Merit.

cheers

Peter

Archived