Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Coach Lighting in DCC - Advice sought.

JST

For the plugs, search on ebay for something like "20pcs Micro JST PH 1.25 2 pin male female plug connector" - in fact, just the first bit up to JST should show results.  £1.53 is what I paid, shipped from Hong Kong but there's currently a seller in China with them at £1.24 with best offer.

I used these when changing a 156 to LEDs and they worked pretty well.

Because it was directional, I had to use two sets of the plugs to wire through.  By comeplete accident, I wired one set one way (male plug from the driving car plugged into the female of the dummy car), and the second set the other way.  This meant you would always connect them the correct way when splitting the unit.

I sold the unit in the end, which is a shame as I put a fair amount of work into updating it and should have continued to use it as a learning unit.

But something to think about if using plugs and needing to wire more than one set.

• Thanks 1

Lots of helpful suggestions, thanks.  I will try several options and see how it goes. I think I will try the Layouts4u battery kit with a reed switch to start with and see how long the battery lasts.

On 05/04/2019 at 20:23, Art Dent said:

Additionally ....

You may find that a small stay alive/anti-flicker circuit is helpful.  The following pictures show the small curcuit that I use in OO-gauge stock (you haven't said as far as I know which gauge you are working in)

45271325551_2bc164bb29_c.jpg

Circuit Diagram

44549083674_841b2b07a1_c.jpg

Components

44472471775_82072460d0_c.jpg

Finished unit (approx 25mm long and 13mm in diameter)  Red & Black leads are the 12V DC feed to the lighting strip, the two yellow leads are the DCC feed to the bridge rectifier.

30446375097_94271e9ecd_c.jpg

Showing the unit being tested on a 3-LED strip.

Hope this helps,

Art

The DI202 rectifier is not suitable for DCC, it is a DC only device in this context. A faster bridge is required for DCC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2019 at 13:26, Suzie said:

The DI202 rectifier is not suitable for DCC, it is a DC only device in this context. A faster bridge is required for DCC.

Hi Suzie,

Please can you advise a suitable alternative? I've seen a B40FS mentioned but this appears to be hard to get hold of.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Suzie, thank you - but I would prefer a more reputable source (not saying that seller isn't reputable - I just don't know).  A Farnell or Rapid or RS ource would be better but I've not managed to find anything that specifies the Trr.

If you don't need a full Amp of current, Farnell have the BGX50 which will provide 140mA:-

https://uk.farnell.com/infineon/bgx50ae6327htsa1/bridge-rect-single-0-14a-50v-sot/dp/2432683?st=BGX50AE6327HTSA1

And Mouser have the 500mA RMB2S from Vishay (not sure that all RMB2S are fast, so check manufacturer data if ordering from elsewhere):-

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/RMB2S-E3-45?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2FMRt2%2F0z7BctqcWJPzcVoHk%3D

The latching reed switch is essentially how Rapido do the lights in the USA & Canadian stock.  They supply a wand that has a magnet in the end to wave over the roof.  These might be available online for a few £.

One thing that I have done with a DMU is to have the pickups on all vehicles connected onto the next vehicle by a mini plug.  This improves the way that the vehicles react to dirt or glitches in the track pickups.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2019 at 11:29, Suzie said:

If you don't need a full Amp of current, Farnell have the BGX50 which will provide 140mA:-

https://uk.farnell.com/infineon/bgx50ae6327htsa1/bridge-rect-single-0-14a-50v-sot/dp/2432683?st=BGX50AE6327HTSA1

And Mouser have the 500mA RMB2S from Vishay (not sure that all RMB2S are fast, so check manufacturer data if ordering from elsewhere):-

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/RMB2S-E3-45?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2FMRt2%2F0z7BctqcWJPzcVoHk%3D

Hi Suzie,

Sorry to drag this one back to the surface - please can you confirm that the RMB2S is good enough? It's described as fast but in this thread ultra fast is mentioned. I have a couple of sets built but if I'm using the wrong rectifiers I can change them.