Westfield tanker traffic - Fife 1960s

'CHARD

• 1 month later...

Apologies for resolution; these are cruelly taken from one photo at the Westfield sidings on the Thornton - Kelty branch, from a 1965 copy of Modern Railways, shortly after the traffic was introduced.  This is the only photograph I've seen, and it just happened to be in a magazine I picked up at Kidderminster during the SVR Diesel Gala last weekend.  Note the presence of the three barrier wagons referred to in the piece posted by Keefer above.

It's clear that these are TTAs in an equivalent Esso livery to that shown here: https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/6-livy/odds/9-tankliv.htm

60750509_330615027624530_5949490441899474944_n.jpg

60762466_2342657785952863_7791809263290023936_n.jpg

Edited by 'CHARD
corrections
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 65288_62C said:

or did Thornton keep those three wagons aside  specifically for this working?

On page 1 of this thread, I posted the Sec. App. entry for the plant. It says the three barrier wagons are kept in a siding next to the Gas Plant, are to be used for any train movements into/from the Plant, then must be returned to the siding after use.

Whether the barriers were always the same three wagons I don't know, but presumably they used wagons not particularly needed for normal traffic and hence may appear in different photos over a longer time period.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1