The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

London Buses

Chris116

• RMweb Premium

During this last winter whenever the bus I have been on has waited for time the drivers have insisted that they have to keep the doors open while at a stop! This means the passengers are left freezing. 

Today it is a sunny, warm day and the passengers are melting in the bus so each time we wait for time what does the driver do? You guessed it the doors were shut as quickly as possible and the temperature in the bus rose steadily!

Can anyone tell me if this caused by bloody mindedness or stupidity by the drivers? 

When buses are waiting time, the doors should opened when passengers approach but as drivers are invariably preoccupied, they often just leave the entry door open. Wouldn’t say they were being bloody minded, just individual preference.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, NorthBrit said:

It's that long since I travelled on a bus.

A previous female Prime Minister would have approved. "Anyone over 30 on a bus is a failure" she said. Some of us actually like bus travel!

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A previous female Prime Minister

Ah!    A heroine!

As for buses.    If we wanted to travel on them around here it is over a mile to the nearest bus stop.   Probably another mile to walk to the destination after getting off.   The destination is quicker by other forms of transport.  (and cheaper.)

• RMweb Premium

I find that London is a great walking city. Within zone 1 if you are reasonably confident about where you need to go then walking often takes little longer than public transport (it can actually be quicker for shorter journeys), it gives you a little exercise and it is a city full of fascinating sights. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A previous female Prime Minister would have approved. "Anyone over 30 on a bus is a failure" she said. Some of us actually like bus travel!

It's even better with a free bus pass. Over the Southdowns to Brighton. If you go by train it is over £10.00 return.