0n 30 davenport

77philg

• RMweb Gold

backwoods dress up kit + sound chip added to the davenport scratch built ladders on rearpost-3023-12546887550446_thumb.jpgpost-3023-12546887803814_thumb.jpgpost-3023-12546887939618_thumb.jpgpost-3023-12546889739589_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil

Love the look of this, but have found sound conversions on small locos can ruin their factory performance, with constsnt stop-starting on all but the cleanest track. My Bachmann On30 RGS Geese are a great disappointment in this respect, despite having run fine as they came from the box. How do you find this conversion in this respect? Are you using some clever "keep alive" add-on?

Hi Phil

Love the look of this, but have found sound conversions on small locos can ruin their factory performance, with constsnt stop-starting on all but the cleanest track. My Bachmann On30 RGS Geese are a great disappointment in this respect, despite having run fine as they came from the box. How do you find this conversion in this respect? Are you using some clever "keep alive" add-on?

same problem tends to waddle and sound is lost then starts up again .dont think i could get a stay alive capacitor in the loco not enough room .But if anyone knows of a small /mini stay alive capacitor circuit that will fit im interested The paint job makes the loco look damaged .Havnt decided if i like it yet or if im going to repaint .

post-3023-12551134589364_thumb.jpg

post-3023-12551135272244_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Phil!

I looked at the Backwoods dress up kit which has the US Navy text on it on their website. Still think about buying one occasionally but no ON30 layout to run it on (yet ;) )

same problem tends to waddle and sound is lost then starts up again .dont think i could get a stay alive capacitor in the loco not enough room .But if anyone knows of a small /mini stay alive capacitor circuit that will fit im interested The paint job makes the loco look damaged .Havnt decided if i like it yet or if im going to repaint .

I have one of these On 30 on DCC and seriously considered sound, but as you say the current has to be there to work the sound chip, and a simple capacitor will only supply DC, not the DCC signal which is broken at that point, the chip relying on the error correction in the chip system to continue for a moment till the signal resumes.

Motor glitches are easier to smooth out, a high value, (farad), cap can be used, but the voltage means the physically large caps have to be used.

The small handy ones are only 3 to 4 volt rated. They can be protected with Zener diodes, but the combination of adding Zeners and caps to the output of the main control chip causes deep troubles, with lack of response once moving, if it moves in the first place!, and some motors will not run at the 3 volt level.

Thinking about the issue brings no easy home brewed solution to mind, but how about contacting MERG and seeing if the issue has been addressed?

I see from US listings on the web, that commercial circuits are available, at a price,( I am trying to trace the listing), and they seem to be Micro processor based, the PIC supplying the continuity to the chip on a continuous monitoring basis.

When a glitch occurs the processor gets power from the cap and keeps the chips convinced that the power is coming from the track, and maintains all the functions at a steady level, till resumption of the proper DCC feed to the control and sound chip.

I would assume though, that a higher voltage capacitor is needed, say 20 volt and these are quite big in the farad sizes needed. Maybe they can get away with a much lower value in Mfds, rather than the big farad types that hold power like a battery.

Hope this helps out,

Stephen.

thanks for that stephen i will contact merg (will have to join first) and hopefully resolve this . Ive also thought along the lines of adding 2 spring loaded wipers, as the large scale LGB locos have for their pick ups .As i have another to convert might try that first phil

thanks for that stephen i will contact merg (will have to join first) and hopefully resolve this . Ive also thought along the lines of adding 2 spring loaded wipers, as the large scale LGB locos have for their pick ups .As i have another to convert might try that first phil

Pickups might work, but you can add a bit of lead, if the side panels are on for instance, both blocks of lead and lead sheet can be hidden, and lead in the cab roof, every bit extra is worthwhile...even two crew in whitemetal will add more.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

The Davenport weathering looks rather good. Mine are still as supplied by Bachmann. I hadn't given any thought to adding sound, to be honest after the "trauma" of converting a Porter 0-4-0 to DCC I was rather relieved to have a model that already had a decoder.

Tony

The Davenport weathering looks rather good. Mine are still as supplied by Bachmann. I hadn't given any thought to adding sound, to be honest after the "trauma" of converting a Porter 0-4-0 to DCC I was rather relieved to have a model that already had a decoder.

Tony

To be honest this was my first dcc conversion id seen it thought got to have some and had a go. had a bit of "trauma" myself along the way but enjoyed myself phil

Very nice, Phil!

I looked at the Backwoods dress up kit which has the US Navy text on it on their website. Still think about buying one occasionally but no ON30 layout to run it on (yet ;) )

Nice kits, I have built one, the roof can be a bit fragile, but with careful handling and storage is OK.

PA281339.jpg

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Nice kits, I have built one, the roof can be a bit fragile, but with careful handling and storage is OK.

PA281339.jpg

Martin

Thanks Martin,

I'll get one one day, I'm looking to use it on a palm oil plantation set in Borneo and thought it looked ideal for a tropical setting.

• 1 month later...

Seeing as there is no room for a sound chip on the loco how about running sound separately on a tape recorder or CD player? OK there is a problem with synchronization, but I'm sure I have seen layouts that have done this successfully, or as close as you can't tell the difference. IIRC the late Paul Templar used to do this on his logging layouts.

Geoff.

Seeing as there is no room for a sound chip on the loco how about running sound separately on a tape recorder or CD player? OK there is a problem with synchronization, but I'm sure I have seen layouts that have done this successfully, or as close as you can't tell the difference. IIRC the late Paul Templar used to do this on his logging layouts.

Geoff.

Geoff i fitted the sound chip in loco and works ,The but is being an 0-4-0 tends to lose the sound occaisionally which is a pick up problem. probably would be better with more pick ups . But its on my to do list phil

• RMweb Gold

Geoff i fitted the sound chip in loco and works ,The but is being an 0-4-0 tends to lose the sound occaisionally which is a pick up problem. probably would be better with more pick ups . But its on my to do list phil

There is an Aussie modeller called Marcus Amman, who has done a great deal of work on fitting "keep alive" capacitors to proprietary sound chips - and shares the details, including many photographs, with the world. Regret I don't have a link, but know his work is very easy to follow and may help - even if you have to disguise the capacitor as an external air tank or similar! I have no doubt a more organised RMWebber will be able to provide the link!

• 4 months later...

Dear RMWeb Team,

You can find Marcus Amman's DCC site HERE

http://members.optus...nswmn/index.htm

and specific info on keep-qalive capacitors HERE

http://www.members.o...north/alive.htm

Not sure if this relates to the specific decoder installed in the B'mann Gas Mech that's the subject of the thread,

but it's a good starting point...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Archived