RMweb

Background problem

stationbackground.jpg

In the above naff diagram, the green line is the backscene behind the station on my 00 layout, and the blue arrow is my usual viewing angle from the operating position. 

The gap between the back of the platform and the backscene is 2" max, which I can live with except for one thing.  The backscene is edge of town merging into countryside, but unfortunately in the area indicated by the red line, there are two houses which are well over-scale i.e. they were too near the camera.  I therefore need to find a way of hiding the bottom 4.5" of the backscene from view along just over 10" of its length.

I can't really see how I can use trees to do this: they'd need an awful lot of foliage to obscure the background sufficiently and I can't imagine what would both do that effectively and look reasonably convincing.  The only other thing I can think of is low-relief buildings, but in order to fit into the scheme of things of the backgound, they'd need to be either industrial/warehousing or house backs and I haven't been able to find anything in kit form which would be suitable for my pre-1965 period.

If anybody else has succeeded in solving a similar problem, I'd be very glad to hear of how they did it, and would appreciate any and all suggestions for a way forward.

Why not make your own low-relief buildings from card or plastic, or maybe just a retaining wall? I take it you've looked at the downloadable prints from Scalescenes or modelrailwayscenery.com?

• Thanks 1

How about a row of advertising hoardings, but viewed from behind, i.e. the adverts themselves would be facing the backscene (so you dont have to worry about the actual adverts!!). All the wood bracing would make for interesting modelling, & be very overgrown too.

• Thanks 1

Cheers, chaps.  Unfortunately downloading prints for building is out because the only printer we have is a black and white laser, and I'm not sure my scratchbuilding skills are developed enough yet - hence me having tried to find suitable kits.  The advertising hoarding's an excellent idea!  Could that have gone up to 30ft or so though?

You could always put it on top of a brick wall...just a length of Wills' brick sheeting or similar. That could be overgrown too.

It doesn't have to be elaborate - I have this disused building on my backscene, just plastic brick sheeting with thin foamboard behind, and cardboard for the boarded-up windows.P1040851.JPG.5233919c974d6de112446a4442e05ab8.JPGwindows.

Edited by rodshaw
Added a photo.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Rod!  Thank you for that.  This is certainly looking more promising now than it did this morning - especially since I realised that I can reduce the height requirement by getting on for 5ft/20mm simply by raising the ground level behind the platform.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...