Growing seafoam for trees

Mrs Spikey is intent upon growing us some seafoam with which to make trees.  Has anybody succeeded in doing this, and if so, where did you get the seed from, and did you do anything special by way of cultivation?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I'm not able to post a link, but if you google "Growing Seafoam" it comes up with a previous RMWeb thread on this.

Thanks very much for that, Chris.  I thought I remembered somebody posting about it a few years ago, but whatever I did with an RM search, I got nowhere.   Mrs Spikey is currently studying your original posts ...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm growing seafoam for the first time this year.

I pricked out the seedlings into modules last weekend and they all seem to be happy.

1115157455_IMG_20220410_130636r.jpg.294ce5e6db6d19b1c351490fc0718330.jpg

They are doing what all the books say: Growing very slowly at the moment!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress Report:

I'm ashamed to say that the seedlings in my previous photo all died. I'm not sure why but I think maybe I pricked them out too early and they didn't have enough root.

I sowed a second batch, left them in the seed tray a bit longer before pricking them out and they are doing much better:

IMG_20220614_192740r.thumb.jpg.b2527fcca0c76086f33b52c667a5bd17.jpg

I moved them from the seed tray straight into 3in pots this time. The smaller plants on the right are effectively a third batch that germinated more slowly in the seed tray - possibly after the disturbance of lifting out the second batch plants.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2