1/35 Scale Railways?

hartleymartin

For a while now I've seen a fair number of 1/35 scale military kits which have expanded into railways. I understand that this is generally a static scale, but is there any signs of movement on making these trains run? Scale gauge for standard gauge would be 41mm, Russian Broad Gauge (5ft) 43.5mm and Irish Broad Gauge (5'3") 45.7mm.

I suppose one could compromise and just use either O Gauge or 1 Gauge track and wheel standards. I suppose not a lot of chance that Slaters would do wheels for 1/35 either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hartleymartin said:

For a while now I've seen a fair number of 1/35 scale military kits which have expanded into railways. I understand that this is generally a static scale, but is there any signs of movement on making these trains run? Scale gauge for standard gauge would be 41mm, Russian Broad Gauge (5ft) 43.5mm and Irish Broad Gauge (5'3") 45.7mm.

I suppose one could compromise and just use either O Gauge or 1 Gauge track and wheel standards. I suppose not a lot of chance that Slaters would do wheels for 1/35 either.

Are they modelling standard or narrow gauge?  If you were modelling standard gauge, you could adopt gauge 1 components, axleguards etc and set the height up carefully.  I'm sure 3 hole disc would be manageable fro  someone like Peartree Engineering.  A planet type diesel would hide most of the gubbins, very tempting...

This website gives a good idea of what is available - mostly standard gauge (and Germanic), though there are some Russian narrow gauge items in there (or there were when I browsed through them all a few months back)....

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=*&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkGROUPS[]="Trains"&fkSCALE[]="1:35"

Have recently got back into 1:35 military modelling after a gap of about 45 years(!) and was amazed to find what was available nowadays compared with the early 1970's. Not bought any rail items but have purchased the "European Tramcar" kit, based on a Nuremburg car, for a diorama I want to construct.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/miniart-38009-tramcar-strassenbahn-triebwagen-641--1011950

Think there are something like 1200 parts in it........

I would imagine that the two main imperatives to consider when evaluating turning these kits into working models are:- Is the chassis going to be strong enough to stand being motorised, and how am I going to provide it with metal wheel rims and axles.

9 hours ago, rocor said:

I would imagine that the two main imperatives to consider when evaluating turning these kits into working models are:- Is the chassis going to be strong enough to stand being motorised, and how am I going to provide it with metal wheel rims and axles.

On the wagons, the construction is not much different from Slaters O gauge wagon kits.

For the locos, I think the motion rods are big enough that you would only have to bush them with brass tube, though slide-bars and cross-heads may be a different matter.