Playcraft Signal Kits

roythebus

A while ago there was mention of Playcraft signal kits that were available in the 1960s. Now whilst Playcraft trains were a bit ermm, hit and miss when it came to British outline models, their signal kits were very good in my view.

I recently dug out a couple of sets of them and attach a picture of them below. there were enough parts to build a bracket signal or a single arm signal with a mixture of stop and distant arms. The parts are quite finely details and they came with ready shaped metal wire for making them work. Apart from the cast bases being a bit unsightly, they made into good models. It was also possible to combine 2 kits to make a gantry.

From memory they cost about 3/6d. I wonder what happened to the moulds?

IMG_2359.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I think the metal bases were a good idea in that they put some weight low to balance the posts. Slightly overscale for 4mm, but less so than the equivalent 1960s Tri-ang signals. In some ways not unlike the Ratio GWR signal kits of the '60s with all the adaptable parts.

Since the Playcraft range is H0 scale (allegedly) the signals were quite a lot overscale, though otherwise quite acceptable

This is not unusual as overscale signals are a common factor in many ranges, not just British. (I believe Rivarossi's are 1/64 - they certainly look rather on the large side, especially since their buildings are dimensionally challenged the other way. I have a generously dimensioned German signal as well - not sure of the make.)