The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I am calling myself

brianusa

Yesterday there was an hourly phone call all from me purportedly and using our correct number.  We counted eight altogether with a couple more this morning.  I have called Comcast and they inform me that this sort of thing is very common these days which I can understand but this is the first occasion when our name and number were used.  We get  a lot from various parts of the country (world?) but Comcast say there is nothing that can be done which is hard to believe so is there really no solution?

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Brian, the 'spoofing' of telephone numbers is a dreadful nuisance. Through 'Voice Over IP' online miscreants can make telephone calls and fake out the caller ID using practically any telephone number they want to type in as the originating number. If your telephone number is listed, there is nothing to stop them using your number.

Usually they pick a random number using your area code and exchange number (the first six digits of a US phone number) so you think it is someone local that you might know. For a while I was getting calls with a US number (I think it was San Francisco) with a recorded message in Chinese. (I couldn't tell you if it was Mandarin or Cantonese.) Sometimes mobile phone providers can identify numbers as likely telemarketing.

While travelling out of state, I've had calls on my mobile phone from spoofed numbers from the local area where my phone was connected to the network.

Spoofing numbers using VOIP online calls has totally circumvented the Federal "Do not call list" rendering it effectively useless. It's mostly harmless, but it is really annoying.

That they are using your number is a bit disconcerting. Keep all your important personal information safe.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had similar on eMail where I seem to be sending myself messages.

We let unfamiliar numbers/names go to the message. If they don't leave a message, we ignore them.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Michael, thanks for the info.  We haven't the nerve to answer these calls so don't know who or where they're from.  Don't really care but as you mention, they're a dreadful nuisance especially so many at a time.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Michael, thanks for the info.  We haven't the nerve to answer these calls so don't know who or where they're from.  Don't really care but as you mention, they're a dreadful nuisance especially so many at a time.

Brian.

As it's not physically possible to call yourself using the same phone, couldn't you just block your own number?

John

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Here in the UK I use a call blocker to screen out these unwanted calls. I believe there are blockers for the US as well and it might be worth investigating. 

For example, we get a lot of scam calls from abroad which spoof various numbers including local ones. But the call blocker knows it's an international call anyway and requests the caller enter a 2-digit id of our choice. Only my daughter's family in Australia know this code so it screens these calls out without the phone ringing. Last month our call log showed there had been 17 of these calls blocked in one 7-day period. Saved a lot of hassle!

• Thanks 1

Is there is such a code in the US, if so it would be great.  The only trouble in blocking your own number is that legit calls wouldn't be able to come through.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Is there is such a code in the US, if so it would be great.  The only trouble in blocking your own number is that legit calls wouldn't be able to come through.

Brian.

I was looking at something like this - https://www.callblockerusa.com/

What the blocker is doing is checking the incoming caller's number. It obviously can't be you - can only be your number if the caller is spoofing it. 

• Thanks 1