Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER Mineral wagon.

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone provide some prototype information of this chap from Hornby. 

Described as a 9 plank open wagon, I know it's ex-L&NER but would like to know more about it. I know little or nothing about things L&NER. 

I intend to remove the 'loco' branding and use for general traffic and can accept the likely inaccuracies.  

Any information is welcome..

Rob 

20190518_154704-01.jpeg

I had a look at Paul Bartlett's site. Whilst there is a copy of a Diagram of something that looks very much like this wagon, the only photos are of similar vehicles with cupboard, rather than drop, doors. In any event, all seem to have been built for Loco Coal traffic. I wouldn't bother removing the 'Loco Coal' branding, as some loco coal wagons carried this long after the demise of steam. I saw one of the steel-bodied LNER examples, almost ex-works, with the branding repainted, at Llanelli in the early 1970s.

One thing I would say is that the normal lettering is transposed between the two ends; the capacity and wagon number are normally on the left-hand end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Or even according to Tatlow 4A, it is not an LNER loco coal wagon at all, but in fact the RCH standard 9 plank 20T mineral; the LNER took this design as the basis for an 8 plank version, employed for loco coal, so the livery is strictly a 'lookee-likee'.

Cunning choice of subject by Airfix GMR with which this tooling originated, a wagon that could carry private owner liveries and masquerade as a loco coal wagon. (Removing the topmost plank with a razor saw 'LNERises' it. The LNER needed a lower height side so that the wagon would fit under colliery loading screens on the GN section.)

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I have 4 of these, overkill for Cwmdimbath.  All have different numbers, one bought as an impulse buy and another 3 as a 'set of 3' at Lord & Butler', for what seemed a low price compared to 3 x Baccy 16tonners even 18 months ago.  They were 'old stock' though, as illustrated by the large non-NEM couplings and the moulded brake handle.  i've replaced the plastic wheels and weathered them to varying degrees, but they are really not up to scratch with those brake handles and will eventually be retired and replaced, probably with Parkside 21 tonners.  None of them are the 'LOCO' livery and all are in BR grey, with numbers/weight at the left end and the tare information at the right.  All have the 'V' hopper marking.  I've 'distressed' the most weathered one with a missing top plank.

I like them, though; they have a lot of character and, at that size, a feeling of bulk and 'presence'.  There's little chance of me being able to do much about the brake handles, though, and they are ultimately doomed...

AFAIK they are not in the current Hornby catalogue.  Hopefully they'll re-appear one day with a decent chassis and NEMs.  Internal detail is good, so they are useful for trains of empties.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Or even according to Tatlow 4A, it is not an LNER loco coal wagon at all, but in fact the RCH standard 9 plank 20T mineral; the LNER took this design as the basis for an 8 plank version, employed for loco coal, so the livery is strictly a 'lookee-likee'.

Cunning choice of subject by Airfix GMR with which this tooling originated, a wagon that could carry private owner liveries and masquerade as a loco coal wagon. (Removing the topmost plank with a razor saw 'LNERises' it. The LNER needed a lower height side so that the wagon would fit under colliery loading screens on the GN section.)

As did the Southern Railway, although like virtually all loco coal wagons, theirs lacked end doors, being unnecessary for loco coal work, as well as being 8 plank (strictly, 7 + a wide one).

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who have commented. Very kind.

I can accept the compromise that these wagons are. They add something a bit different to the layout and as Jonners says, they are quite imposing items of rolling stock. 

A trip to the weathering shop is in  order then. I think with care, the standard of detailing will be masked. 

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone can pull this off it’s you, Rob.  Here’s my attempt, showing the reason there’s more involved in cutting the top plank off than just cutting the top plank off, as the diagonal strapping, emphasised by the white line at one end, doesn’t come in to the top corner properly.  Like you, I’ve decided to accept the compromise and leave them as they are, but look for a replacement chassis, perhaps kit.  Mine have spiked wheels, btw.

51CBE4EE-6399-4943-AE54-9DC87ECB1FEC.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It certainly is.  I will now cut the top plank off all 4 of mine!

Or renumber them with numbers in the 'P' prefixed series to represent ex Private Owner wagons, which they more accurately represent.

Interesting that the one in the original photo has its number on the right hand end.  I suppose it's not impossible they found a picture of one painted like that!  The one I've got is very similar but with the number on the left - it's in my 'to do' pile.

I suppose if the brake handles offend so much, it would be possible to make new underframes using Parkside underframe kits - probably the one intended for the Grampus would suit.  For my part, I think I'd be happy enough with the brake handles, but would replace the fat tie bar between the axleguards with one made from brass strip.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good tips, 31, especially about the Parkside Grampus being suitable.  I've made up a couple of Parksides and their chassis kits and they are well within my comfort zone, and I imagine CCT have suitable number for 'converting them to XPO, not a bad idea as the LNER is a bit overrepresented with my minerals!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Good tips, 31, especially about the Parkside Grampus being suitable.  I've made up a couple of Parksides and their chassis kits and they are well within my comfort zone, and I imagine CCT have suitable number for 'converting them to XPO, not a bad idea as the LNER is a bit overrepresented with my minerals!

The Parkside Grampus (unfitted) chassis not suitable as the axle guards are the solid heavy duty type rather than the fabricated RCH type on the prewar 20 ton types.

The LNER hopper chassis is more suitable but needs different brake gear and levers!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

This is the underframe I had in mind:

https://peco-uk.com/collections/parkside/products/br-12-foot-wagon-chassis-kit-unfitted-morton-brake

It looks as though the axleguards are probably not quite right as they represent the BR plate type rather than the open 'W iron' shape; you can either modify them by opening out the holes beneath the springs into triangles, or live with them as they are.  I've got a sheet of Modelmasters transfers somewhere for ex PO wagon numbers.  I know accurate BR numbers can be worked out in some cases for ex PO wagons, but they were allocated in such a random way that I've never bothered!

Thank you, Mr. Saunders!

Edited by 31A
Mark Saunders beat me to it!

• RMweb Gold

Another view of my out of the box example, as per Hornby. 

Rob

20190519_184421.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Scrubs up nicely doesn't it!  I actually think the 12ft underframe moulding (which originated with the Airfix range) is quite good really.  Quirky that Hornby put the running number at the door end on both sides on that version.  I've just had a look at mine which is numbered E157943 (R6401A) and that has the number in the left hand corner on both sides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep. 

The next victim of the make up brushes is R6401A. 

Rob. 

• Like 1