Modelling some diesels in North Devon

Georgeham

So the old layout was sold some time last year, followed by a house move - which curtailed a lot of my modelling time (it is amazing how quickly time goes by!).  However, we are now happily settled in.....and during emptying a storage unit from a long time ago - I have resurrected an old layout of mine.  It is partly finished and the soldering/electrics now need some attention (or just redoing!) and a lot of detailing/buildings need to be added.  However, the basis of a good layout is here, with the different levels working well as a scene. One of the jobs over summer is to sort out the quay wall, get the ballasting down, add a backscene and rewire the layout. I am thinking to make this layout a continuous loop 'off scene', but we shall see.....

20220624_122132667.jpg

20220624_122819363.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

So after a bit of hiatus I am picking up the OO gauge modelling again. I have been a bit frustrated with having a lot of stock lying around in boxes and having nowhere to run them! So I have taken the plunge and have started dismantling the Pottington Quay layout - it has elements of post Beeching 1970s layout already!  I am making a continuous run for the layout, with an offscene loop.  All the original trackwork has been taken up from the original layout and tonight will remove most of the wiring, point motors etc from underside of the layout. This will be more of a slow burner of a layout build, with the biggest aim to have somewhere to run rolling stock in the short term, before commencing detailing.....(well that's the plan anyhow!). Baseboard building to commence tonight......

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-08 at 06.09.11 (2).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 4 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and I wish you all well for the new year.

Over the xmas break I have managed to make some pretty good progress with the new layout Pottington Quay - the full loop is now operational. All of the excellent baseboards have been built (Tim Horn) - and whilst most of the track has not been laid - there is a continuous run, allowing me to check that none of the trains have seized up over the last year. All the points and switches are in place to build the scenic section and the fiddle yard - although there is a lot of track laying to be done.  I have also sorted out the rebuild of the platform - although it now needs painting.  Great progress - and really fantastic to have trains running again - there are  few little track joings that need ironing out - but the overall the layout has worked really well today. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 17.57.45 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 17.57.51 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 17.57.51.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 17.57.54 (2).jpeg

• Like 8